Eight in-demand specializations
You can choose from eight in-demand specializations from a diverse group of focus areas.
Online, on-site, or both
Courses are delivered in three formats: online, in-person, or a combination of both. Pick the format that works for your schedule.
Proven return on investment
58 percent of Flexible MBA students reported receiving salary increases while studying in the program.
GMAT/GRE waivers and merit scholarships available
GMAT/GRE waivers and merit scholarships are available for those with strong academic credentials.
Top five benefits of an Online MBA
1. Waivers for all part-time applicants.
We are temporarily suspending testing requirements for all applicants to our part-time programs for the summer and fall starts this year. This includes our Flexible MBA program, which can be completed fully online.
2. Scholarships for part-time MBA applicants.
We offer a number of scholarships that are available to our part-time and online MBA applicants. Some we have newly created just for you, like the Baltimore Business Scholarship. Others we have opened up to part-time and online MBA applicants just this year, like our Women in Business Scholarship. The best way to see if you qualify is to reach out to an admissions officer today.
3. Flexible format.
We understand the needs of working professionals. That’s why we’ve created a format that is as flexible as can be. Courses are offered in short, eight-week terms. This allows you to pick a schedule that works for you. Online, in-person, or both: your business school schedule fits into your life, not the other way around.
4. Return on Investment.
Fifty-eight percent of our part-time and online MBA students reported receiving a salary increase while studying in the program. An online MBA from Carey starts paying dividends almost right away. Our part-time and online MBA graduates reported an average starting salary of $109,018. That is across industries and job functions and does not include bonuses or other compensation.
You want to get your online MBA, but you are concerned about how to pay for it? Here are six ways to pay for your online MBA.
5. Get your degree fast (or take your time).
Students have different speeds. Some want their degree fast; others want to take their time to balance their life and work. Complete your degree in as quickly as two and a half years or take up to six. Find the balance that works for you.
See more career data
Learn about our class profile.
- 659 average GMAT score
- 53 percent male / 47 percent female
- 3.29 average undergraduate GPA
- 7.36 average years of full-time work experience
- 94 percent of students from the U.S.
*Footnote: Fall 2020 incoming class
Designed to fit the demanding schedules of the working professional, the Flexible MBA offers a curriculum that blends traditional and project-based courses. This allows graduates to successfully advance in their current field or transition into a new sector.
Flexible MBA specializations in business analytics and risk management; entrepreneurship, innovation, and technology; financial management; health care management, innovation, and technology; investments; digital marketing; entrepreneurial marketing; and public and private sector leadership. are offered in-person and online. Not all electives or concentration courses are available in the online format, although we are constantly adding and developing online courses each semester.
Our Flexible MBA curriculum is designed to provide working professionals the leadership skills and knowledge to help them launch their careers.
The Student Handbook provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures.
The 2021 edition of the Carey Business School University Catalog is available.
download fact sheet
The Flexible MBA is a rigorous degree program designed to give working professionals the business tools and knowledge they need to elevate their careers.
Earning the name: Flexible MBA
The Flexible MBA curriculum is offered online and in-person. Each semester, students can choose to take classes in either format for the duration of their eight-week course. All students will complete a total of 54 credits (20 credits of business foundations courses and 34 credits of elective courses), with the freedom to take up to six years to finish the degree. Students following the recommended program plan finish the degree in 2.7 years.
Business Foundations (20 credits)
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.520.601 Business Analytics
- BU.120.601 Business Communication*
- BU.231.620 Corporate Finance
- BU.220.620 Economics for Decision Making
- BU.410.620 Marketing Management
- BU.680.620 Operations Management
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
- BU.150.620 Strategic Management
- BU.142.601 Leadership and Organizational Behavior
Business Electives (34 credits)
- All students must earn 34 elective credits to graduate. You may earn up to three specializations using these elective credits, but you are not required to earn a specialization. You are welcome to take any elective courses you like. Specializations are simply a way to help organize your electives by content area. Elective courses may count toward more than one specialization, when applicable.
MBA Specializations Offered
- Business analytics and risk management
- Digital marketing
- Entrepreneurial marketing
- Entrepreneurship, innovation and technology
- Financial management
- Health care management, innovation and technology
- Public and private sector leadership
*Online sections of Business Communication also require students to attend an in-person residency at the Baltimore campus. The residency for Business Communication is two days.
Go beyond the classroom
Trade the classroom for consulting opportunities, case competitions, and more. Experiential learning is your opportunity to team up with students across Johns Hopkins and businesses to put your leadership, design thinking, and business skills to the test.
Dr. Denice Cora-Bramble’s (MBA ‘03) career was an uphill battle. As a woman of color, she often had...
Average base salary
Received salary increases while in the program
See career data
At Carey Business School, we recognize the specific needs of our Flexible MBA students. Whether you are making a career pivot and need help breaking into a new industry, or are preparing to land a promotion with your current employer, Carey’s Career Development Office has the resources you need to turn your career aspirations into your career reality.
Companies who hire Flexible MBA students
- Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon)
- Brown Advisory
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Exxon Mobile
- Ernst & Young
- Guggenheim Partners
- Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Johnson & Johnson
- Kaiser Permanente
- Lockheed Martin
- Morgan Stanley
- Under Armour
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- World Bank
- Vice President
- Pharmacy Operations Supervisor
- Senior Analyst
- Managing Director
- Senior Manager
- Senior Consultant
- Director of Finance
- Business Management Consultant
- Product Manager
- Operations Manager
- Global Operations Manager
Salaries by industry
- Consulting - $119,167
- Government - $117,100
- Healthcare - $110,571
- Manufacturing - $119,063
- Technology - $121,467
Salaries by job function
- Consulting - $118,125
- Finance - $94,500
- General Management - $114,577
- Information Technology - $119,000
- Marketing/Sales - $118,750
- Operations/Logistics - $116,792
Connect with a Carey student
Mike Leffer uses his Johns Hopkins MBA to build a successful venture capital firm and solve for...