Student Right To Know

Student Right to Know

In compliance with Title IV, the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, and other federal and state disclosure laws, the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School has listed consumer information for prospective and current students. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Affairs, at 410-234-9240 or

Disclosures applicable to all students across Johns Hopkins University are available Higher Education Act Disclosures Johns Hopkins University.

General institutional information

Student financial assistance information

Using Federal Financial Aid to Purchase Books/Supplies

If your financial aid file is complete (all documents and outstanding requirements were submitted on or before our published deadlines) and you are entitled to a refund of excess federal student aid funds, you should receive your refund in time to buy required books and supplies during the first week of a term. Students enrolled in modules and/or courses that do not begin within seven days of the start of the term may not receive their aid until they actually begin class. To ensure timely receipt of your refund, be sure to choose the method to receive your refund as soon as possible.

If you need to purchase books/supplies prior to the aid disbursement students must contact Financial Aid directly via the SEAM’s online form to request a book credit. Financial Aid will confirm if you have enough aid to use up front for a book credit. The book credit can only be used at Johns Hopkins University Official Bookstore. The amount you use in the bookstore will later be deducted from your financial aid disbursement.

Health and safety information

Student outcomes

Voter registration information

Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates & Financial Aid Support Report - N/A
Teacher Preparation Program Report - N/A

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer without Replacement

The transfer policy applies to all part-time programs.

The maximum number of credits earned at another accredited college or university, or at another school within Johns Hopkins University, that may be transferred into a graduate degree program in the Carey Business School in no case can exceed six credits. Any request for transfer credit must be submitted within the first semester. Only credits from external coursework taken prior to matriculation to the Carey Business School are eligible for transfer consideration. Coursework must be completed within the last 5 years and the student must have a “B+” or better in the completed coursework. Faculty Course Leads make the final decision on course equivalencies, but students should start the process with their academic advisor.

Current Carey Business School students will not be able to transfer any credits taken at another college or university taken after their initial matriculation. This includes students on a Leave of Absence or inactive students.

A maximum of 6 credits may be transferred and the combination of transfer credits and course waivers may not exceed 10 credits. The Waiver Exam policy is separate from the Transfer of Graduate Credit policy.

International Credential Evaluation

Applicants who hold degrees from non-U.S. institutions must have their academic records evaluated by an authorized credential evaluation agency (see list of approved agencies below) before they can be considered for admission to a degree or certificate program. For degrees earned at non-U.S. institutions, an official course-by-course evaluation assessing the degree, the overall grade point average, and the courses taken, should be submitted. Final official course-by-course credential evaluations must be the equivalency of a U.S. degree and from a regionally-accredited university or college in the U.S. Please do not send official foreign transcripts. Credential evaluations are used to assess a student’s coursework against the U.S. grading system and to evaluate courses for possible transfer credit. In addition to submitting official academic records to the Carey Business School, applicants should make arrangements with an authorized credential evaluation agency for an evaluation of the degree, an assessment of the overall grade point average, and a course-by-course evaluation. 

A maximum of 6 credits may be transferred and the combination of transfer credits and course waivers may not exceed 10 credits.

Fees and required documentation for evaluations may vary. Applicants are encouraged to contact the agency directly for additional information. The following agencies are authorized:

World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, N.Y. 10274-5087
Telephone: 202-331-2925
Fax: 212-739-6100

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, Wis. 53203-3470
Telephone: 414-289-3400

International Education Research Foundation
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, Calif. 90231
Telephone: 310-258-9451

Withdrawing from a Course

To withdraw from a course, students must submit a withdrawal request using the SEAM's online form. Students may not withdraw from courses using SIS. Notice to the instructor of intent to withdraw is not sufficient, nor are telephone withdrawals accepted. The last date to withdraw from a class without academic penalty (without receiving the grade of F) is published by the Registrar's Office under the Registration Deadlines. Students who withdraw after the deadline or stop attending class at any time without properly submitting an official add/drop form receive an ‘F’ (Failure) for the course. Tuition refunds are calculated from the date of receipt of the add/drop form in the Registrar’s Office. International students on an F-1 visa are advised to contact the Office of International Services before withdrawing from or dropping a course.

Note: Federal aid recipients who withdraw from all coursework in a semester may have aid returned to the federal government according to federal “Return of Title IV funds” regulations, a copy of which can be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid. Aid recipients who withdraw from some courses in the semester but not all their courses may have their aid awards adjusted to the reduced cost of attendance. Students who drop to less than half-time status prior to beginning the class may have their federal aid canceled, even if some portions have already been refunded to them for living expenses. Students will receive a bill from the school for the balance due. Withdrawing from classes may also impact future aid eligibility. Financial Aid recipients are advised to consult with their academic advisor and the financial aid staff prior to withdrawing from classes. Students using VA benefits should contact the VA Certifying Official immediately.

Course Load

Full-time students may not enroll in more than 16 credits total per semester. Part-time students may not enroll in more than 10 credits total per semester, unless approved by an academic advisor.

Dropping a Course

Students may drop a course without financial penalty during the first week of classes via SIS self-service (see Registration and Refund Deadlines for exact dates). During the second week, students who drop a course receive a pro-rated tuition refund in accordance with the Registration and Refund Deadlines for the term. Tuition refunds are calculated from the date of receipt of the add/drop form in the Registrar’s Office. Students dropping a course after the first class meeting should notify the instructor of their decision.

Note: Financial aid recipients will have their aid award adjusted according to credits registered.

Students dropping to less than half-time status may have their aid canceled and will be responsible for any debit balance created. Students using VA benefits should contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office when adding or dropping a course