Experiential learning case competitions
Enhance your business skills and compete in a case competition
Participating in a business-related case competition is one of the best ways to develop critical business and presentation skills, gain practical real-world industry experience, and network with experts and potential employers. Students will also benefit from support and mentorship of Carey faculty to help finetune their presentation and case analysis skills.
What is a case competition?
Case competitions require a team of students to work together and solve a specific problem facing an industry or pitch an innovative idea to a panel of industry experts. The design and format of each competition varies, but generally includes the following:
- Working with a small team to plan and prepare a case presentation
- Presenting to a panel of industry experts who judge on business knowledge, viability, and presentations skills
- Web-based component for submitting or partially submitting materials
- Cash prize awards for top teams
- Opportunities for networking as part of competition event
Johns Hopkins teams take top two spots in Danaher Case Competition
Johns Hopkins University student teams win both first and second place in the seventh annual Healthcare Business Association case competition, sponsored this year by global science and technology innovator Danaher Corporation.
Funding and support
Carey Business School funds one team of students to compete in each of the annual competitions below. The funding provided covers registration, transportation, and lodging if necessary.
- National Investment and Banking Case Competition
- ReachOut MBA Conference Competition
- Direct Marketing Association of Washington/Education Foundation
- Rutgers Biopharma MBA Case Competition
- CFA Research Challenge Competition
- Venture Capital Investment Competition (Regional Finals)
- Wharton Buyout Competition
- Penn Graduate Consulting Case Competition
- Georgetown IBM Technology Case Competition
- MIT Sloan Operations Simulation Competition
- Kellogg Real Estate Conference & Venture Comp
Faculty and staff mentors are matched with each team to provide insightful industry expertise and presentations feedback. To apply to compete on the Carey case competition team complete the case competition form on B-involved. From the B-involved homepage, scroll down to find the form under “Campus Links.”
Additional case competitions
Hundreds of case competitions for graduate business students occur throughout the year. Find more opportunities to compete by visiting the Case Competitions page on B-involved. You can match with faculty or peer coaches or receive additional support by completing the Case Competitions form on B-involved.
Case competitions hosted at Carey
Carey student organizations proudly host the following case competitions on-campus:
- Pfizer Case Competition, Healthcare Business Association
- Venture Capital Investment Competition, Private Equity and Venture Capital Club
- Scope-a-thon, Johns Hopkins Graduate ConsultingClub
- Carey Equity Research Competition, Financial Technology Club