The skills you need
Builds in-depth knowledge and the hands-on skills you need to create and implement targeted strategies in today's rapidly evolving marketplace.
Advance your career
Empowers you to hone skills needed to advance quickly in your careers within a flexible format.
Branding for the future
Equips you with the tools to manage brand audits, assess brand equity, and develop innovative branding strategies for the products and services you're passionate about.
Features online courses taught by the same world-class faculty who develop the curriculum and course content, as well as features both synchronous (real-time) and asynchronous (anytime) learning activities.
Join us at the Baltimore campus to hear from admissions, career development, faculty members, and more. Join fellow MS candidates and see what Carey Business School and graduate business education has to offer.
Learn about our class profile.
- 3.58 average undergraduate GPA
- 100 percent female / 0 percent male
- 10 average years of full-time work experience
- 75 percent of students from the U.S.
Data from Fall 2017 and Fall 2018 incoming classes
Test, apply, and master breakthrough marketing ideas – ahead of the industry. The Master of Science in Marketing degree from Johns Hopkins Carey Business School harnesses the research firepower of the one of the most respected universities in the world while connecting multiple disciplines.
The student handbook provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures.
Find detailed descriptions for the courses offered during the 2019-2020 academic year.
Download fact sheet
You will use and design qualitative and quantitative research methods to gain customer insights, explore competitive economics and strategic intelligence during the marketing planning process, analyze primary and secondary data, build customer datasets, conduct advanced analytics, and more. Part-time students may also choose to take courses on-site or online.
Online courses feature mostly asynchronous learning activities with a few recommended or required synchronous (real-time) activities. Students will select a preferred mode of study upon application. Students should review the technical requirements for online courses before applying.
Required Courses (18 credits)*
Business Foundations (12 credits)
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.120.601 Business Communication*
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.132.601 Business Law
- BU.410.620 Marketing Management
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
*Online sections of Business Communication require students to attend an in-person residency at the Baltimore campus in order to complete the 8-week course.
Functional Core (6 credits)
- BU.420.710 Consumer Behavior
- BU.410.601 Marketing Research
- BU.450.710 Marketing Strategy
Electives (18 credits)
**Students choose 9 courses from the following:
- BU.420.730 Advanced Behavioral Marketing
- BU.430.710 Branding and Marketing Communications
- BU.520.601 Business Analytics
- BU.460.710 Business-to-Business Marketing and Channel Strategy
- BU.450.760 Customer Analytics
- BU.420.720 Customer Relationship Management
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.450.630 Designing Experiments
- BU.460.700 Integrated Digital Marketing
- BU.460.730 New Product Development
- BU.430.720 Pricing Analysis
- BU.450.740 Retail Analytics
- BU.430.740 Sales Force Management
- BU.450.765 Social Media Analytics
- BU.450.750 Strategic Market Intelligence
**Not all electives are offered online each year. Consult with your academic advisor for more details.
Download career data
The career development team is committed to providing opportunities for you to build professional skills and competencies that essential for a successful career search.
Students in this program have gone on to start or advanced their careers across numerous industry sectors, including technology, manufacturing, media/entertainment, real estate, and health care. These are just some of the areas in the marketing industry where you can find and connect with Carey alumni in the Baltimore region, around the U.S., and across the globe.
- Proctor & Gamble
- Kraft Heinz
- Tiffany & Co.
- Marketing Analyst
- Account Supervisor
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Senior Product Manager