Master of Science in Information Systems
Bridge technology and business with a curriculum covering big data, predictive analytics, AI, machine learning, cybersecurity, IT services, and more.
Learn to lead IT initiatives at the forefront of digital innovations with hands-on experiences across IT services – from web services to high-level strategies.
Learn to manage a digital transformation with the latest technical skills to achieve organizational success in the global marketplace.
The STEM-designated curriculum provides you with strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills that today’s employers demand. The STEM designation offers an Optional Practical Training STEM Extension benefit.
555 Penn opening fall 2023
Located at 555 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 555 Penn is designed for the academic needs of today and the future. This state-of-the-art Johns Hopkins location creates new opportunities for research, education, and public engagements, giving you the powerful combination of the distinctive Johns Hopkins advantage in the heart of Washington, D.C.
Learn about our class profile. *
- 37 percent female / 63 percent male
- 9 percent of students are from the U.S.
- 7 countries represented
- 3.38 average undergraduate GPA
- 0.3 average years of full-time work experience
* Fall 2022 incoming class
EXPLORE OUR STUDENT RESOURCES
From the start of your application to the start of your new job, see how our team supports your entire journey.
The STEM-designated full-time Master of Science in Information Systems program offers an immersive educational experience at the intersection of business, technology, and human behavior. Regardless of your technical acumen, you will learn to leverage the art and science of information systems to become a better leader.
The student handbook provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures.
The 2022 edition of the Carey Business School University Catalog is available.
download fact sheet
Information systems and technologies are revolutionizing the way we live and work. Technology advances at a rapid pace. The industry needs talented and savvy business leaders who can spot opportunities for added business value.
The Master of Science in Information Systems program will prepare you to lead IT initiatives for security, strategic advantages, and success.
Required courses (24 credits):
Business foundations (10 credits)
- BU.520.601 Business Analytics
- BU.120.601 Business Communication
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.350.620 Information Systems
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
Functional core (14 credits)
- BU.330.750 AI: Principles and Business Applications
- BU.330.790 Applied IS Architecture
- BU.330.705 Data Networks: Infrastructures & Emerging Technologies
- BU.330.780 Data Science and Business Intelligence
- BU.330.730 Cybersecurity
- BU.330.740 Large Scale Computing on the Cloud
- BU.300.620 Managing Complex Projects
Electives (12 credits)
- BU.360.701 Competitive Intelligence
- BU.330.710 Cybersecurity and Data Vulnerabilities
- BU.330.770 Database Management
- BU.330.760 Deep Learning with Unstructured Data
- BU.883.702 Health Information Technology
- BU.300.700 Developing Internet Systems and Services
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.520.620 Advanced Business Analytics
- BU.520.710 Big Data Machine Learning
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.142.620 Leadership in Organizations
- BU.410.620 Marketing Management
- BU.680.620 Operations Management
- BU.152.710 Entrepreneurial Ventures
- BU.610.615 Simulation for Business Applications
- BU.350.710 IT and Global Sourcing Strategy
- BU.300.700 Internet Systems for Data Sciences
In addition to the elective courses listed above, MSIS students can select up to two courses (maximum 4 credits) from any area as part of the 12-elective credits. These courses must be approved by an academic advisor. The advisor-approved electives let you tailor your Master of Science in Information Systems program.
Your business education doesn’t end in the classroom. Step out of your comfort zone as you partner with students across Johns Hopkins and businesses to take your learning to the next level.
career outcomesUsing a master’s in information systems degree to lead with humanity
download career data
Carey career coaches are committed to providing opportunities for you to build professional skills and competencies essential for what’s next in your career.
Program graduates are working in a variety of industries, including consulting and information technology with private industry, government, and nonprofit organizations. Here are just a few organizations where alumni are making an impact.
- Amazon Web Services
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Ernst & Young
- U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Department of State
- Business Analyst
- Business Operations Analyst
- IT consultant
- Financial Analyst
- Full-Stack Developer
- MarCom Specialist
- Software Developer
- Sr. Data Scientist
Student & Faculty Spotlight
admissionsDoes using the GMAT/GRE waiver help or hurt my application?
Want to read more?
At A Glance
Tuition & Fees
There are numerous options for financing your education including scholarships, loans, and payment plans available to those who qualify. Learn more.
The Fall 2023 application is now closed.
The Fall 2024 application will open later this summer.
See all application deadlines.
Visit the How to Apply page for more details on requirements and instructions to help you prepare your application.
Make sure to review our GMAT/GRE Test Waiver Policies.
View upcoming live webinars
In light of COVID-19, Carey Business School is hosting a variety of virtual admissions events to meet with prospective students. From virtual visits to informational online sessions to regional and international events, the Carey team is ready to answer questions and support your business school.
See All Application Deadlines
The Fall 2023 application is now closed. The Fall 2024 application will open later this summer.
See all our program webinars
Listen to a recorded overview of the Master of Science in Information Systems program to learn more about curriculum, career outcomes, application requirements, and more.
Carey Business School updates these presentations as needed but please consult the Admissions Team for all up-to-date policies and application deadlines.
Tuition and fees
Tuition application fee Initial enrollment deposit Final enrollment deposit $83,750/year $100 $3,000 $2,000
Contact financial aid
You are making a significant investment in your future, and we have options to assist in paying your tuition. From scholarships to financial aid to payment plans, Carey Business School offers a variety of choices.