Financial aid process

The Office of Financial Aid awards federal aid to graduate students.

Fully admitted students are eligible to receive up to $20,500 annually in federal unsubsidized loans. Conditionally admitted students do not qualify for federal student aid. A small number of endowed scholarships are also awarded through our office. You will find more information below on eligibility requirements and the overall financial aid process for the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

Eligibility Requirements for Federal Aid:

WATCH: Graduate/Professional: Eligibility requirements 

In order to be considered for financial aid, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.*
  • Be enrolled or accepted into a graduate program leading to a degree or certificate.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress and credit compliance (half-time enrollment in required courses per semester in which aid is received) to continue to be eligible for financial aid. 
  • Not be in default on a Federal Direct or Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, or owe a refund for a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) at any institution (students whose loans were dismissed because of bankruptcy are considered to be in default and are not eligible for federal aid).
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (not including audited or pass/fail courses) during the semesters in which they wish to borrow a federal loan.

* International students are encouraged to investigate the possibility of aid through their government or outside agencies. Additional information on scholarships for international students is available here.

Begin the financial aid application process:

WATCH: 2021-2022 FAFSA®: Tutorial video

Academic Year 2021-2022 Financial Aid Process (Summer 2021-Spring 2022):

1) Complete your 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

  • If you don’t already have an FSA ID, get one at
  • Carey Business School's Code – E02145.
  • Please use your 2019 tax returns, 2019 W-2 forms and any other documentation of income for 2019 to complete the FAFSA. Use estimates if you have not filed your tax return yet. Don’t delay filing your FAFSA.

2) Part-time Students Only: Complete your 2021-2022 Supplemental Information form by logging into SIS self-service and clicking on the Financial Aid tab. Then select the 2021-2022 year. Click on Menu and select Applications. These forms begin the financial aid process for the academic year (summer semester 2021 to spring semester 2022). 

(Please note: The FAFSA is the only required form for federal aid, but the Supplemental Form will help us better award your aid.)

For information on the endowed scholarships application process, please visit the Institutional Aid page.

Please be aware that you must reapply for financial aid every year. 

Priority Filing Dates

Priority filing dates exist for students who intend to use financial aid to pay for coursework for the upcoming semester.
These priority filing dates are not deadlines. Late applications are always accepted and processed as quickly as possible. However, late applicants should be prepared to pay for tuition at the time of registration and receive reimbursement if aid is awarded subsequently.
The priority filing date to apply for aid for the 2021-2022 academic year (summer 2021, fall 2021, spring 2022) is April 15, 2021.

The priority filing dates by semester are:

  • 2021 Summer Session: April 15, 2021
  • 2021 Academic Year (Fall/Spring): April 15, 2021
  • 2022 Spring Semester only: November 1, 2021

Carey Business School Endowed Scholarship deadline for 2021-2022: May 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. EST. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2021-2022 academic year. The new 2022-2023 application form will be available on this website in mid-March 2022.

Please note that this is not a priority date. Your completed scholarship application must be received by May 15, 2021 by 5:00 p.m. EST

Financial Aid Code of Conduct

Need your financial aid questions answered?