Toby Gordon, ScD (Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2010 and is an Associate Professor with expertise in the areas of healthcare policy, management of hospitals and health systems, and technology commercialization. Toby has joint appointments in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Health Policy and Management and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Surgery.
Toby serves as the Academic Program Director of the Healthcare Management Programs, directs the Discovery to Market technology commercialization course and is the Deputy Director for Business Strategies for the Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR) at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is currently the section editor of Medical Technology for the journal Surgical Innovation, and serves as a healthcare expert for the European Commission.
Her professional background prior to Carey includes serving as Vice President of the Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System, consulting academic medical centers, teaching, and conducting outcomes research in surgery focused on the relationship between cost and quality.
- Sc. D, Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University
- BS, Health, University of Pennsylvania
- Gordon, TA and Cameron, JL. Evidence-Based Surgery. , D.C. Decker Inc. Publisher, Ontario, Canada, March 2000.
- Gordon, TA, Bowman, H.B., Bass, E.B., Lillemoe, K.D., Yeo, C.J., Heitmiller, R.F., Choti, MA, Burleyson, G.P., Cameron, J.L. "Complex Gastrointestinal Surgery: Impact of Provider Experience on Clinical and Economic Outcomes," Journal of American College of Surgeons, July 1999, 189:1:46-56.
- Gordon, TA, Bowman, H.B., Tielsch, J.M., Bass E.B., Burleyson G.P., Cameron, J.L. "Statewide Regionalization of Pancreaticoduodenectomy and its Effect on In-Hospital Mortality," Annals of Surgery, July 1998, 228:1:71-78.
- Gordon, TA, Burleson, G.P., Shahrokh, S., Bass, E.B., Cameron, J.L. "Cost and Outcome for Complex High-Risk Gastrointestinal Surgical Procedures," Surgical Forum of the American College of Surgeons, Volume XVII, October 1996, 47:618-620.
- Gordon, TA, Burleyson, G., Tielsch, J.M., Cameron, J.L. "The Effects of Regionalization on Cost and Outcome for One High-Risk General Surgical Procedure," Annals of Surgery, January 1995, 221:1:43-49.
- Discovery to Market I & II
- Fundamentals of Health Care Systems
- The U.S. Health Care System: Past, Present, and Future
- The Wire: Business Solutions for Community Health Improvement
- Business Communication
Honors and distinctions
- 2013- Innovation in Teaching Award, Middle Atlantic Association of Colleges of Business
- 2008-Present Co-editor, Medical Innovation and Business, Wolters Klower Health
- 2007 Top 100 Minority and Women Business Entrepreneur (MBE)
- 2006 Maryland's Top 100 Women - Circle of Excellence, The Daily Record
- 2002 Governor's Volunteer Service Award, State of Maryland
- 2001-2006 Robert Woods Johnson Clinical Scholars Program Internal Advisory Board
- 2000-2006 Governor's Workforce Investment Board & Executive Committee, State of Maryland
- 2000 Publication Award of Excellence, AAMC Group on Institutional Advancement
- 1993-2001 Trustee Council of Penn Women, University of Pennsylvania
- 1983 The John Chancellor Hume Award for Significance of Doctoral Research in Health Policy and Management