First Steps for New Full-Time Faculty and Visiting Scholars

Welcome to the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School

To get you off to a good start, the Office of Faculty and Research requests that all new Full-Time Faculty and Visiting Scholars complete steps below. Part-Time faculty will be contacted by Deb Boyd with instructions for beginning the new-hire process.

Step 1: New Hire Form (new faculty and visiting scholars)

All faculty are required to complete the New Hire Form, which is necessary to begin the onboarding process. If our HR office has not yet contacted you to complete the form, please send an email to: 

Please return the completed form to Carey HR via the drop box. By using this DropBox, it will ensure the confidentiality and security of your personally identifiable information.  The drop box can be found:

Step 2: JHED ID and Email(new faculty and visiting scholars)

Once your New Hire Form has been processed, you will receive an email with your unique Johns Hopkins University ID (also known as your JHED ID). Please activate your JHED ID and JHU email account as soon as possible. The JHED ID is required to access Carey's internal systems. You must log on as a first time user to set-up your account and password by going to the University's My JHU webpage and selecting the "First Time User?" link.

Faculty members are entitled to a JHU email account. Since it is our primary communication tool, you are required to use the account. All official JHU communications will only be transmitted through your JHU email account, therefore, it is vital that you set up your JHU email account promptly in order to receive all pertinent information.  For information on setting up your JHU email account and forwarding services, please visit the JHU IT webpage.

Step 3: Directory Profile, Business Cards, and Name Badge  (new faculty and visiting scholars)

Please fill out the following forms and submit to the Office of Faculty and Research ( for processing.

  • Faculty Biography form This will be used to create your profile in our Faculty Directory on the Carey website. Please submit your completed form with a recent professional photograph. You may also include your CV or a link to your personal website to be posted to your profile.
  • Business Card template This information will be used to order your business cards, if applicable.
  • Your Name Badge for special events includes only your first and last name. If your Name Badge is lost, misplaced, or damaged, please request a replacement (a replacement fee will be assessed).

Step 4: J-Card and Building Acess Card (new faculty and visiting scholars)

The J-Card is a picture ID card used for identification, security, and access to University buildings and services. To have your J-Card preprinted, please submit a 2x2 photo of your head and shoulders to Yearbook and passport photos work best. Please choose a plain, indoor background and do not wear sunglasses, hats, or hairstyles that obscure your eyes. In your email, please include:

  • Your full name and birthday
  • Location that you will be teaching classes (Harbor East, Washington DC, etc)

Your J-Card and building access card will be distributed to you at the faculty orientation (in mid-August) or your first official day at Carey. If your J-Card or building access card is lost, misplaced, or damaged, please email Carey Operations to request a replacement (a replacement fee will be assessed).

Step 5: Faculty Orientation (new faculty only)

Please attend the Faculty Orientation August 15, 2019 and August 16, 2019 at the Carey Business School Harbor East Campus on the 13th Floor. The orientation program provides:

  • Introduction to the Carey Business School leadership and mission of the school
  • Overview of resources that support teaching and research
  • Overview of policies and procedures of the University and Carey
  • Time to meet and talk with current faculty who can help answer questions or provide information about Carey

We strongly encourage attendance by new faculty at the orientation programs.

Step 6: Visas

New Full Time Faculty should contact Carey HR for Visa assistance at

Additional Information:

Relocation and permanent housing:

If you are relocating to the Baltimore/ Washington DC area because of your new position at Carey, please refer to our **Relocation Guidelines as well as our Expense Reimbursement Template sheet.

**In light of recent changes to the tax law made by the H.R. 1, Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Please refer to the following link for further information:  If you have any questions about the suspension of the qualified moving expense exclusion or tax reform in general, please contact the Tax Office at 443-997-8688 or

Temporary Housing 

For visiting faculty members who are interested in locating temporary, off-campus housing, please visit the following links and log-in using your JHED ID and password:

Benefits and Payroll

For all HR-related items including Benefits and Payroll, please go to: Carey HR’s Inside Carey Page at:

Faculty Resources

For additional resources, including our Faculty Handbook, Academic Calendar, and Standard Syllabi, please visit our Faculty Resources and Teaching & Learning@Carey pages.


Inside Carey is a single access point for Carey to school-related resources including IT help request, benefits summary, human resources. (JHED and password needed).

myJHU is a single access point to hundreds of Johns Hopkins web applications and Johns Hopkins related resources. (JHED and Password needed).

Transportation information 

Airport: Baltimore Washington International Airport

Trains between Baltimore and Washington DC:

  • Maryland Transit Association (MTA) operates commuter trains, called the MARC TRAIN, that services Baltimore (Baltimore-Penn Station) and Washington DC (Union Station). More information can be found here: MARC Train
  • AMTRAK operates a national passenger train service, that includes transportation between Baltimore and Washington DC. The cost of ticket for this train service is higher than the MARC commuter rail service. More information can be found here: Amtrak Baltimore Penn Station

Registering your vehicle in Maryland

Registering your vehicle in Washington, DC


The following links provide more information about Maryland K-12 public schools: