Student employment

seated student with organizational stickies on a blue

Work and Study.

Carey Business School provides assistance for full-time students seeking casual or part-time positions within the school.

To review positions and apply, visit SMILE.


Casual or part-time positions are available to full-time students carrying a full-time course load of 9 credits or more per semester. Students must possess an excellent academic record and maintain a professional working relationship with faculty, students, and administrative staff. Student workers are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week combined and may not have more than two positions at one time.

Johns Hopkins payroll will process all student paychecks and maintains student employment records and supporting documents.

Starting the employment process

Make an appointment with Carey HR office.

A student cannot work until they have met with Human Resources to complete employment paperwork. Carey HR staff are available for appointments from noon to 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Thursday. You must schedule an appointment to complete your employment paperwork prior to starting by emailing Carey HR at

Review the student guide to the employment process

Complete your employment paperwork

Bring all completed forms with you to the appointment with Carey HR.

Work hours

Full-time students may work no more than 20 hours per week during periods of enrollment. You can only work 20 hours in one week combined during all jobs. A student may not have more than two positions at one time.

During periods of non-enrollment, (i.e., summer, winter vacation, and intersession), student employees may work up to 40 hours per week. Please note: Student may not work more than 20hrs until the week following the Final examination period.

Student employment resources

After you meet with the HR office, review the following resources.

Employee self service

You will complete your tax and direct deposit forms in ESS once your information is entered into the payroll system. You will be notified by our payroll specialist in approximately 2 weeks at, when your information is entered into the system. Then you should have access to ESS within 3-5 business days from then.

Once you have access please log onto Employee Self Service (EES) to complete your tax and direct deposit information. The university uses ESS, allowing you to log in using your JHED ID and password from your myJH email account.

Using ESS, you will be able to:
  • View/Update your tax withholdings for Federal and MD State (depending on where you live)
  • View/Update your permanent address
  • View your personal data
  • View/Print/Save your pay statements which are only available while an active employee in SAP and only for up to 3 years

Please double-check your updates before saving them, since the data is “live” and once updated will make instant changes in SAP.

You may access ESS through myJH ( with your JHED ID and password. On the myJH homepage, you will see a column of icons on the left-side where you may place your cursor over the “myPayroll” icon. This opens a box to the right of it where you may click on the “ESS” icon which will open a new browser to that system. You’ll need to login again with your JHED ID and password. If you have any questions from that point, you may contact Payroll Shared Services (PRSS) at

Tax Forms

If you have questions about filing out the form or your tax withholdings, you can contact the University Tax office at office at 443-997-8688 or

Direct deposit takes 1-2 pay periods before going into effect. Your first two checks will be mailed to your home address we have on file from your paperwork.


The Payroll Specialist will set up an online timesheet for you to keep track of your hours worked. You will receive access to this in approximately two weeks. Carey Business School uses Harvest to keep track of your hours worked. Each week you will go in and enter your hours. If you start before you receive the email from the payroll specialist, please keep track of your hours each week, and you will be able to go back in and update the timesheet.

Timesheets are due a few days before the pay period. Please view the schedule for submission and approval cutoff dates.

If you have any questions in regards to your timesheet or any payroll issues regarding your checks, please contact the payroll office at


You are paid the 15th and end of the month. Please note your first pay check will be issued the second cycle after your start date.

Your W-2

You may access your W-2 for taxes online here


Some students may be offered an opportunity to continue working as a causal employee after graduation. The hiring manager for the position must make arrangements with HR to retain a graduating student employee by April 1. Transition from student worker to casual staff and all necessary documentation must be completed within 3 days of graduation. International and visa restrictions apply. Students transferring to casual status must meet with the HR to re-verify Form I-9.

Contact Human Resources at

This document was edited with the instant web content composer. Use the online HTML converter to convert the documents for your website.