Master of Science in Real Estate and Infrastructure (full-time)
With the Edward St. John Real Estate Program, build a foundation in real estate investment, development, finance, construction and design, entrepreneurship, planning and sustainability, capital markets, and real estate law. At one of the few real estate programs embedded in a business school, benefit from a robust understanding of the real estate industry from top to bottom.
Thrive as a real estate professional, regardless of market conditions. Earn your MS in Real Estate and Infrastructure and build valuable connections within the industry. The signature capstone provides a mentored professional real estate industry experience that integrates all aspects of the curriculum.
Build your portfolio
Complete a signature, integrated, hands-on capstone project that pairs you with a professional mentor in the real estate industry.
Relevant and applicable
Learn from research-focused faculty and expert practitioners, and gain real-world experience you can use as soon as you graduate.
Edward St. John Real Estate Program
Learn fresh, innovative approaches to the field of real estate development from a sophisticated academic perspective. This program is made possible through the generous support of Edward St. John.
Master critical concepts
Gain a comprehensive understanding of real estate financials and investments as well as how to close deals, collect and analyze demographic data, and anticipate trends to thrive as a real estate professional, regardless of market conditions.
- 33 percent female / 67 percent male
- 21 percent of students are from the U.S.
- 3 countries represented
- 747 average GMAT score
- 3.13 average undergraduate GPA
- 0.7 average years of full-time work experience
The Edward St. John Real Estate Program at Johns Hopkins Carey Business School features a powerful combination of research-focused faculty members and leading real estate experts. You'll build valuable connections, learn multidisciplinary skills, and master critical industry-transcending concepts to understand and anticipate real estate trends to help you thrive in any setting.
One of the few graduate real estate programs to be part of a true business school, the full-time Master of Science in Real Estate and Infrastructure program will prepare you with best practices in the real estate industry, so you graduate as an expert. Plus, you’ll network with the Carey Real Estate Advisory Board and Real Estate Alumni Network to discuss opportunities and advancements in the industry.
Real-world case studies will introduce you to multiple disciplines including investment, development, finance, construction and design, entrepreneurship, planning and sustainability, capital markets, and real estate law.
Course Highlight: Experiential Capstone Project
The capstone course provides students with an opportunity to integrate and apply the main tenants of the MS Real Estate and Infrastructure program – data, decisions, and community. Each year the program partners with a particular city and obtains data on a critical community infrastructure project that needs repositioning and revitalization. Students are tasked to produce a market feasibility report (along with a financial proforma) that will help the city’s stakeholders decide whether to pursue the project or not. Students will also dissect and analyze the city’s negotiated development review and permitting process to understand what it takes to earn community and political support.
Required courses (16 credits)
Business foundations (6 credits)
- BU.120.601 Business Communication
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
Functional core (8 credits)
- BU.234.610 Real Estate and Infrastructure Finance
- BU.241.630 Real Estate Products and Emerging Trends
- BU.241.610 Real Estate Investment and Development
- NEW: The Legal and Public Policy Landscape of Real Estate
Capstone (2 credits)
- BU.245.790 Real Estate and Infrastructure Capstone
Electives (14 credits)
Students choose 7 courses from the following:
- BU.241.620 Design and Construction Feasibility
- BU.242.715 Real Estate and Infrastructure Valuation
- BU.152.725 Real Estate Entrepreneurship
- BU.242.710 Real Estate Funds and Portfolio Management
- BU.242.701 Real Estate Investment Trusts: Analysis and Structuring
- BU.241.760 Strategic Commercial Leasing
- BU.241.740 Project Finance & Public-Private Infrastructure Delivery
- BU.241.705 Selected Topics in the Real Estate Industry
- BU.241.640 Net Zero Real Estate
- New Elective: Proptech and Big Data
- New Elective: Real Estate Practicum
- New Elective: Corporate Real Estate Management
- In-person classes
- Courses held in Washington, D.C
- Capstone project with a mentor in the real estate industry
- Complete your degree in one year
- Online, flexible format
- Asynchronous and/or fully synchronous courses
- Optional in-person residencies available
- Complete your degree in two years
- In-person classes
- Courses held in Baltimore, MD or Washington, D.C.
- STEM-designated concentration in financial econometrics
- Complete your degree in one year
Attend an event
Carey Business School hosts various virtual admissions events for prospective students to meet with members of our admissions team. With virtual visits, informational online sessions, and regional and international events, the Carey team is ready to answer questions and support your business school journey.
Connect with a Carey student
Our students come from all over the world and represent all of the different graduate business programs we have here at Carey. Connect with one of them directly to learn more about life at Carey.