Trey Cummings, PhD is an Assistant Professor of Management & Organization at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School with a specialization in Strategy. His research focuses on firm innovation with an interest in understanding how firm attributes such as structure, positioning, and knowledge affect innovation outcomes by altering the motivation and ability of knowledge workers to innovate. In addition, his work investigates the effect of these firm attributes on the top management team’s strategic direction of innovation. Prior to his career in academia, Dr. Cummings worked in financial analyst and management roles at The Boeing Company on both the defense and commercial sides of the aerospace industry.
- PhD, Strategy, Washington University in St. Louis
- MBA, University of Arkansas
- BS, Chemical Engineering, University of Arkansas
- Cummings, Trey and Anne Marie Knott (2018) "Outside CEOs and innovation", Strategic Management Journal 39(8): 2095-2119.
- Cummings, Trey. "Rocketing to the Top: Promotion Tournament Rewards and Innovation at NASA"
- Balasubramanian, Parasuram, Trey Cummings, and Lamar Pierce. "Organizational Structure and Evidential Value in Scientific Research"
- Cummings, Trey and Jackson Nickerson. "A Schematic Model of Thinking for Designing Organizational Decision-Making Processes"
- Corporate Strategy
Honors and distinctions
- 2020 (Finalist) - Academy of Management STR and TIM Divisions Best Dissertation Award
- 2019 - Washington University Olin Business School PhD Job Market Paper Presentation Competition Winner
- 2019 (Finalist) - Strategic Management Society Knowledge and Innovation Interest Group Best PhD Paper Proposal Prize (project w/ Parasuram Balasubramanian & Lamar Pierce)
- 2018 (Finalist) - Organization Science/INFORMS Dissertation Proposal Competition
- 2018 - Washington University Olin Business School PhD Job Market Poster Presentation Competition Winner
- 2017 - Moog PhD Scholar Award Recipient
- 2017 - Most Managerial Relevant Paper Pitch at Sumantra Ghoshal Conference (project w/ Anne Marie Knott)
- 2017 - Academy of Management Annual Conference Best Paper Proceedings (project w/ Jackson Nickerson)