Xian Sun, PhD (Finance, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2009. She is a professor of practice with expertise in the areas of emerging capital markets, institutional shareholders, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Ph D, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2006: Finance
- MBA, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2002 Major: Finance
- BA, Shanghai Jiaotong University, 2000
- Patro, D. Siddique, A., and Sun, X. 2013. Stress testing for market risk. Stress Testing: Approaches, Methods and Applications. Risk Books.
- Sun, X., Zhang, H., Jiang, J. (2022). De Facto Power in Transition Economy: The Case of China. Journal of Financial Stability.
- Sun, X., Francis, B., Wu, Q. (2022). Managerial Ability and Tax Aggressiveness. China Accounting and Finance Review.
- Sun, X., Zhou, M., Hasan, I., Francis, B. (2022). Trust, politics and post-IPO performance: SOEs vs. the private sector. Economic and Political Studies.
- Li, M., Phan, H.P., Sun, X., 2021. Business Friendliness: A Double-Edged Sword. Sustainability 13 (4), 1819.
- Liu,Q., Sun, X., and Wu, H., 2019. Premier Advisory Services for VIP Acquirers. Journal of Corporate Finance 54, 1-25.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., Sun, X., Wu. Q. 2016. CEO Political Preference and Corporate Tax Sheltering. Journal of Corporate Finance 38, 37-53.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., Lothian, J. and Sun, X. 2010. The Signaling Hypothesis Revisited: Evidence from Foreign IPOs. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 45, 81-106.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I. and Sun, X. 2009. Political Connections and the Process of Going Public: Evidence from China. Journal of International Money and Finance, 28, 696-719.
- Francis, B., Sun, X., Wu, Q., Ren, N. Do Better Managers Get Better Loan Contracts?
- Sun, X., Bai, G., Quintero, L., Phan, P., Rebucci, A., Jimenez, D. The Financial Fragility of For-Profit Hospitals: Evidence From the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Refereed Journal Articles under Submission
- Jiang, E., Sun, X., Zhang, H., The rising De Facto Power: China Evidence, R&R
- Francis, B., Sun, X., Wu, Q., Ren, N. Do Better Managers Get Better Loan Contracts? R&R
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., and Sun, X., CEO Compensation and Covenant Violation. Submitted.
- Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Emerging Markets
- Principles of Finance
Honors and distinctions
- Excellence in Teaching Award, The Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association 2018-2022
- Dean’s Award. Carey Business School, Johns Hopkins University 2017-2021
- On-The-Spot Awards, Office of the Comptroller of Currency, September 2007, December 2007, August 2008
- Del and Edith Karger Dissertation Prize in Management, RPI, May 2006