Xian Sun, PhD (Finance, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2009. She is a professor of practice with expertise in the areas of emerging capital markets, institutional shareholders, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Ph D, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2006: Finance
- MBA, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2002 Major: Finance
- BA, Shanghai Jiaotong University, 2000
- Patro, D. Siddique, A., and Sun, X. 2013. Stress testing for market risk. Stress Testing: Approaches, Methods and Applications. Risk Books.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., Sun, X., Zhou, M., 2021. Trust, Politics, and Post- IPO Performance: SOEs vs. Private Sector. Economic and Political Studies, Accepted July 2, 2021.
- Li, M., Phan, H.P., Sun, X., 2021. Business Friendliness: A Double-Edged Sword. Sustainability 13 (4), 1819.
- Liu,Q., Sun, X., and Wu, H., 2019. Premier Advisory Services for VIP Acquirers. Journal of Corporate Finance 54, 1-25.
- Sun, X., Gunia, B., 2018. Economic Resources and Corporate Social Responsibility. Journal of Corporate Finance 51, 332-351.
- Ma, M., Sun, X., Waisman, M., Zhu, Y. 2016. State ownership and market liberalization: Evidence from China's domestic M&A market. Journal of International Money and Finance Available online July 2016.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., Sun, X., Wu. Q. 2016. CEO Political Preference and Corporate Tax Sheltering. Journal of Corporate Finance 38, 37-53.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., Sun, X., Waisman, M. 2014. Can Firms Learn by Observing? Evidence from Cross-Border M&As. Journal of Corporate Finance 25, 202-215.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., Lothian, J. and Sun, X. 2010. The Signaling Hypothesis Revisited: Evidence from Foreign IPOs. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 45, 81-106.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., Liu, Q. and Sun, X. Creditor Control and CEO Compensation.
- Francis, B., Wu, Q., Sun, X., Do talented managers avoid more taxes?
Refereed Journal Articles under Submission
- Jiang, E., Sun, X., Zhang, H., The rising De Facto Power: China Evidence, R&R
- Francis, B., Sun, X., Wu, Q., Ren, N. Do Better Managers Get Better Loan Contracts? R&R
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., and Sun, X., CEO Compensation and Covenant Violation. Submitted.
- Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Emerging Markets
- Principles of Finance
Honors and distinctions
- Excellence in Teaching Award, The Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association 2018-2022
- Dean’s Award. Carey Business School, Johns Hopkins University 2017-2021
- On-The-Spot Awards, Office of the Comptroller of Currency, September 2007, December 2007, August 2008
- Del and Edith Karger Dissertation Prize in Management, RPI, May 2006