Phillip H. Phan, Ph.D., is Alonzo and Virginia Decker Professor at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School with joint appointment as Professor in the Department of Medicine. He is Robert Bosch Policy Fellow at the American Academy in Berlin.
His academic and professional work focuses on innovations in health care that impacts patient safety and quality. He has published more than 200 peer reviewed research papers and is author/editor of 13 scholarly books. He is Deputy Editor of the International Journal for Quality in Health Care, Academic Editor of Medicine®, and Associate Editor of the Journal of Technology Transfer. He reviews for the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, National Institutes of Health, and the National Science Foundation.
He is director of the Networking and Mentoring Core for the Johns Hopkins Artificial Intelligence Collaboratory for Aging Research, and PI of the Johns Hopkins Innovation for Substance Use Disorder (I4SUD) program, a NIDA-funded national technology commercialization training program for researchers in substance use disorders.
- Ph. D, University of Washington - Seattle
- BBA, Hospitality Management School of Travel Industry Management, University of Hawaii - Manoa
- Lee, Soo-Hoon, Clarice Wee, Phillip H. Phan, Yanika Kowitlawakul, Chee Keat Tan, Amartya Mukhopadhyay (2023). Readiness for transfer: a mixed-methods study on ICU transfers of care. BMJ Open, 13(5):e064492
- Long, Valencia, Xer Min Nicole Lau, Clara Xinyi Ng, Phillip H. Phan, Ci En Ellie Choi (2023) Discordance in perception of disease severity between patient and physicians. European Journal of Internal Medicine, 109:138-140
- Lee, Soo-Hoon, Tinglong Dai, Phillip H Phan, Nehama Moran, Jerry Stonemetz (2022) The Association Between Timing of Elective Surgery Scheduling and Operating Theater Utilization: A Cross-Sectional Retrospective Study, Anesthesia & Analgesia, 134(3): 455-462
- Lee, Soo-Hoon, Phillip H. Phan, Sanjay V. Desai (2022) Evaluation of house staff candidates for program fit: a cohort-based controlled study. BMC Medical Education, 22(1): 754
- Samuels, Jack, Calliope Holingue, Paul Nestadt, Joseph Bienvenu, Phillip H. Phan, Gerald Nestadt (2021), Contamination-related behaviors, obsessions, and compulsions during the COVID-19 Pandemic in a United States population sample. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 138: 155-162.
- Marr, Kieren A.., Phillip H. Phan (2020) The valorization of non-patent intellectual property in academic medical centers. The Journal of Technology Transfer, 45(6): 1823-1841
- Lee, Soo-Hoon, Christopher Terndrup, Phillip H. Phan, Sandra Zaeh, Kwame Atsina, Nicole Minkove, Sanjay V. Desai (2020) The Impact of Environmental Context on Intern Sign-Out Quality, Journal of Patient Safety, 16: 304-306
- Chan, C.S. Richard, Pankaj C. Patel, Phillip H. Phan (2020) Do differences among accelerators explain differences in the performance of member ventures? Evidence from 117 accelerators in 22 countries, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 14(2): 224-238.
- Choi, Young R., Phillip H. Phan, Jaepil Choi (2020) Formal governance, interfirm coordination, and performance in partnerships: An empirical investigation of a mediation model, European Management Journal, 38(3): 413-424
- Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Design Lab
- Commercializing Discoveries
- Research and Policy Seminars in Health
- Social Innovation and Business Sustainability
- Corporate Strategy
- Innovation for Humanity
- Discovery to Market
- Networked Organizations
Honors and distinctions
- Haniel-Stiftungsgastprofessur, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät, Humbolt-Universität zu Berlin (2004)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Business Venturing (2001-2015)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Financial Stability (2003-2019)
- Robert Bosch Foundation Public Policy Fellow, The American Academy in Berlin (2007)
- Tommie Goh Distinguished Visiting Professor, Singapore Management University (2008)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Technology Transfer (2011-)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Family Business Strategy (2014-2020)
- Editor-in-Chief, Academy of Management Perspectives (2014-)
- Academic Editor, Medicine® (health services research) (2014-)
- STaRs Visiting Professor, University of Bergamo, Italy (2019)
Impact and engagement
- Director and Principal Investigator, Johns Hopkins Innovation for Substance Use Disorder Program, Johns Hopkins Medicine, and Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
- Director, Networking and Mentoring Core, Johns Hopkins Artificial Intelligence Technology Collaboratory for Aging Research, Johns Hopkins Malone Center for Engineering in Healthcare and Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Co-founder of:
- P4 Microbiome Inc., developer of antimicrobials for the gastrointestinal tract
- Pistevo LLC, developer of AI solutions to improve medical billing accuracy
- FKP Consulting LLC, consultancy devoted to vascular and interventional radiology.
- Mentor, A-Level Capital
- Editor, eix.org (Entrepreneurship and Innovation Exchange)
In the media
- Phillip Phan, and Joe Grogan "Patients Deserve Immediate Access to FDA-Approved Innovations — Not Bureaucratic Restrictions" The Hill, May 21, 2022
- Should Billionaires Exist? Radio Times (Nov 19, 2019) WHYY Public Radio Philadelphia
- Business leadership professors size up Washington Redskins' problems (Nov 23, 2019) WTOP 103.5 FM in Washington D.C.