Ge Bai, PhD, CPA is an associate professor of Accounting at Johns Hopkins Carey Business School and associate professor of Health Policy & Management (joint) at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She is an expert on health care pricing, policy, and management. Dr. Bai has testified before House Ways and Means Committee, written for the Wall Street Journal, and published her studies in leading academic journals such as the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, JAMA Internal Medicine, Annals of Internal Medicine, and Health Affairs. Her work has been widely featured in ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News, Los Angeles Times, NBC, New York Times, NPR, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and other media outlets and used in government regulations and congressional testimonies.
- Ph. D, Accounting, Michigan State University
- MS, Accounting, Eastern Michigan University
- BA, Japanese Literature, Dalian University of Technology
- BA, Mechanical Engineering, Dalian University of Technology
- Financial Eligibility Criteria and Medication Coverage for Independent Charity Patient Assistance Programs, with SoYeon Kang, Aditi Sen, and Gerard Anderson, 2019, JAMA, 322(5), 422-429.
- Air ambulance with sky high charges, with Arjun Chanmugam, Valerie Suslow, and Gerard Anderson, 2019, Health Affairs, 38(7), 1195-1200.
- Favorable Formulary Placement of Branded Drugs in Medicare Prescription Drug Plans When Generics Are Available, with Mariana Social and Gerard Anderson, 2019, JAMA Internal Medicine, 179(6), 832-833.
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants in Emergency Medical Services Who Billed Independently, 2012-2016, with Gabor Kelen, Kevin Frick, and Gerard Anderson, 2019, American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 37(5), 928-932.
- Pharmaceutical industry funding to patient-advocacy organization: a cross-national comparison of disclosure codes and regulation. With Laura Karas, So Yeon Kang, Robin Feldman, and Gerard Anderson, 2019, Hastings International and Comparative Law Review, 42(2), 453-484.
- Consumer Responses to Price Disclosure in Direct-to-Consumer Pharmaceutical Advertising, with Jace Garrett, William Tayler, Mariana Social, Antonio Trujillo, and Gerard Anderson, 2019, JAMA Internal Medicine, 179(3), 435-437.
- Evaluation of Causes of Protected Health Information Breaches, with Jiang John, 2019, JAMA Internal Medicine, 179(2), 265-267.
- Pharmaceutical Companies Support of US Patient-Advocacy Organizations: An International Context, with So Yeon Kang, Laura Karas, and Gerard Anderson, 2019, American Journal of Public Health, 109(4), 559-561.
- Accounting Foundations
- Capital Budgeting
- Advanced Financial Accounting
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
Honors and distinctions
- The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Supplemental Research Support Award, 2019
- The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Dean’s Award, 2017-2020
- The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Black & Decker Research Fund, 2017
- Institute of Management Accountants Research Foundation Emerging Scholar Award, 2014
- Journal of Management Accounting Research Best Paper Award, 2014
- Institute of Management Accountants Research Foundation Grant, 2013
- American Accounting Association/Grant Thornton Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2011
Impact and engagement
- More Cures for More Patients: Overcoming Pharmaceutical Barriers. House Committee on Ways and Means Subcommittee on Health, February 5, 2020.
- Health Care Costs: Options for State Policymakers, with Matthew Eisenberg, Utah House of Representative and State Senate. August 22, 2019.