Alessandro Rebucci is an Associate Professor in the research track, holding a joint appointment with the Economics Department of the Krieger School of Art and Science. Prof. Rebucci is a NBER Faculty Research Fellow (International Finance and Macroeconomics Program), a CEPR Research Fellow (International Macroeconomics and Finance Programme), and a Research Fellow at the Center for Urban & Real Estate Management, Globalization of Real Estate Network (University of Zurich) and the Centre for Applied Financial Economics (University of Southern California). Prof. Rebucci is also a non-resident faculty at the International Business School of the Beijing School of Foreign Studies. He is Associate Editor for the Journal of International Money and Finance and Economia (the Journal of the Latin American and Caribbean Economic Association--LACEA). Prof. Rebucci had Visiting Scholar Positions at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, the Central Bank of Finland, and the IMF Research Department. Before joining Carey, Prof. Rebucci held research and policy positions at the Inter-American Development Bank (2008-2013) and the International Monetary Fund (1998-2008).
The research interests of Prof. Rebucci are International Finance, Macroeconomics, and Real Estate. He is currently working on the pros and cons of controls on international capital flows, the role of real estate markets in the transmission of capital flows shocks, and methods to estimate macroeconomic models of financial crises.
- Ph. D, Economics, Queen Mary College, University of London
- MSc, Economics, Bocconi University
- Laurea in Economic and Social Sciences, Bocconi University
- Voluntary and Mandatory Social Distancing: Evidence on COVID-19 Exposure Rates from Chinese Provinces and Selected Countries (with A. Chudick and M. H. Pesaran), April 15, 2020.
- Uncertainty and Economic Activity: A Multi-country Perspective (with A. Cesa-Bianchi and H. M. Pesaran), Review of Financial Studies, forthcoming.
- International Credit Supply Shocks, Journal of International Economics (with A. Cesa-Bianchi and A. Ferrero), Vol. 112(C), pages 219-237, 2018.
- Capital Controls Measures: A New Data Set, (with A. Fernández, M. Klein, M. Schindler, and M. Uribe), IMF Economic Review, 64 (3), pp. 548-574, 2016.
- Capital Controls or Exchange Rate Policy? A Pecuniary Externality Perspective (with G. Benigno, H. Chen, C. Otrok, and E.R. Young), Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 84, pp. 147-165, 2016.
- Are Capital Controls Countercyclical? (with A. Fernández and M. Uribe) Journal of Monetary Economics (Lead Article), Vol. 76, pp. 1-14, 2015.
- Global Liquidity, House Prices, and the Macroeconomy: Evidence from Advanced and Emerging Market Economics (with A. Cesa-Bianchi and Luis Felipe Cespedes) Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 47 No. S1, pp. 301-335, March/April 2015.
- Financial Crises and Macro-Prudential Policies (with G. Benigno, C. Otrok, E. R. Young, and H. Chen), Journal of International Economics, Vol. 89 No. 2, pp. 453-470, 2013.
- News Shocks and Asset Price Volatility in General Equilibrium (with A. Matsumoto, P. Cova, and M. Pisani), Journal Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol 35, No. 12, pp 2132-2149, 2011.
- Capital Flows, Real Estate, and Local Cycles: Evidence from German Cities, Banks, and Firms, (with P. Bednarek, D. M. te Kaat, and C. Ma), manuscript.
- Estimating Models with Financial Crises: An Endogenous Regime Switching Approach” (with G. Benigno, A. Forester, and C. Otrok), manuscript.
- Optimal Policy for Macro-Financial Stability” (with G. Benigno, H. Chen, C. Otrok, and E. R. Young), NBER Working Paper No. 26397.
- The Firm and the Macroeconomy (Intermediate Macroeconomics), MBA and MS in Finance
- Global Perspective in Real Estate (International Real Estate), MBA and MS in Real Estate
- International Finance, Executive MBA
- Financial Institutions, MS in Finance
Honors and distinctions
- Associate Editor, Journal of International Money and Finance (2018- )
- Associate Editor, Economia (The Journal of the Latin American and Caribbean Economic Association--LACEA (2016- )
- Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing, Journal of Monetary Economics and Journal of International Economics (2017-18)
- Catalyst Research Grant, Johns Hopkins University (2018-20)
- Dean's Award, Johns Hopkins Carey Business School (2017-2019)
- Young Leader Award, Council for the United States and Italy (2005)
Impact and engagement
- Organizer, Carey Finance Annual Conference (2018-2020)
- Member, Faculty Budget Advisory Committee, Johns Hopkins University (2016-2019)
- Advisor, IMF Independent Evaluation Office, Unconventional Monetary Policies and Housing Markets (2018)
- Advisor, World Economic Forum Advisory Committee on Emerging Horizons in Real Estate (2015)
- Member, International Monetary Fund Advisory Committee on Housing and Housing Finance (2014)
- Consultant, Boston Consulting Group (2016)
- Chief Economist for the Caribbean Region, Inter-American Development Bank (2010-2011)
- Principal Economist, Inter-American Development Bank (2012-2013)
- Lead Economist, Inter-American Development Bank (2008-2012)
- Senior Economist, International Monetary Fund (2006-2008)
- Economist, International Monetary Fund, Research Department (1998-2006)
- Board Member (Finance Committee), McLean School, Potomac MD (2017-)
In the media
- Equity Market Volatility and Global Growth Expectations, Op-Ed, Voxeu.org (April 2018)
- Powell, Taylor Lead Charge to Head the Fed, Op-Ed, The Hill.com (October 2017)
- China Needs Tighter Macro-Prudential Regulations to Loosen Capital Controls, Op-Ed, Voxchina.org (November 2017)
- 10 Lessons for China 10 years from the U.S. Subprime Financial Crisis,” Op-Ed, Econbrowser (October 2017)
- With mortgage rates up, Trump already makes a mark on housing market, Baltimore Sun Interview (November 26, 2016)
- Fed Lift Off and Mortgage Rates, Baltimore Sun Interview (December 10, 2015)
- China Devaluation, Baltimore Sun Interview (August 15, 2015)
- China Stock Market, Baltimore Sun Interview, (August 24, 2015)
- The Emerging Markets Housing Bubble, Huffington Post, Huffingtonpost.com (February 2015)
- Are Emerging Markets Ready for a Housing Earthquake?, Alphaville, FT.com (February 2015)
- Is the Federal Reserve Breeding the Next Financial Crisis? Voxeu.org (April 2013)
- Capital Controls Should Be Latin America's Last Resort, Op-Ed, Beyondbrics, FT.com (November 2010)
- Are Macro-Prudential Policies Prudent? Op-Ed, Voxeu.org (August 2010)
- Chinese Revaluation Could Jeopardize the Global Recovery, Op-Ed, Beyondbrics, FT.com (March 2010)
- The Ugly Truth about a Renminbi Revaluation for Latin America, Op-Ed, Voxeu.org (March 2010)
- Monetary Policy Must Respond to the Housing Market, Op-Ed, Voxeu.org (April 2008)