Kaltura is a cloud-based video management system for storing, publishing, and streaming videos, and other media within a secure campus environment for faculty and students.
Kaltura integrates with Canvas, allowing faculty and students to easily create, upload, and share multimedia content in their courses. This guide includes instructions on how Kaltura functions within Canvas to help you quickly get started and continue to increase your skill level.
- Integrated with Canvas, allowing you to record a lesson, audio, presentation, or screencast using your webcam and/or screen/slides
- Mobile ready, recordings can be played back on any desktop, laptop, or mobile device
- Basic editing tools: trim, slice, add thumbnails and edit transcripts
- Auto captioning and editing tool to reach standard accuracy and a searchable transcript tool
- Prevents users outside of Canvas from viewing your videos.
- Creating an introductory video, presentations, and how-to videos, using audio, screen sharing, and or video.
- Energize weekly video announcements introducing the module, or provide a review of the week in preparation for the upcoming week
- Record and add to your course a presentation, demonstration, introductory lesson, lecture or more (recommended to keep videos under six min see Columbia CTL research in the Deeper Dive section.)
- Include an assignment overview video with assignment instructions
- Provide students with just-in-time supplemental course-related videos for difficult-to-understand concepts
- Reduce cognitive processing demand using multimedia learning strategies
What is Kaltura?
Kaltura is a cloud-based video management system that stores, hosts and distributes video.
How can I access Kaltura?
All Carey Business School faculty and students have access to Kaltura through Canvas in MyMedia
Who can access my Kaltura Videos?
Videos are available for those in a course using Canvas with Kaltura turned on. Only you and students in our course will be able to view the videos
Can I upload using my mobile device?
What are machine captions?
Machine captions are available for all media uploaded to the Kaltura platform. Machine captions are generally about 70% to 80% accurate. Results may vary depending on your audio track's quality. You should anticipate that the transcript will need to be edited.
After I upload a file, can I delete it from my hard drive?
It is recommended that you keep your original files. MediaSpace optimizes and transcodes your files to a web-friendly format, and the original recordings are removed. If you should ever need to publish your media somewhere else, your source files are the highest quality versions.
Why isn’t my video’s view count increasing?
You will not see immediate changes in the video count, the view count updates once every 24 hours.
I deleted a video in MyMedia, can I retrieve it?
When you delete something on MyMedia, it's deleted from all the courses forever. We do not possess any means of recovering deleted files, be sure to keep your original files and only delete those items that you are sure that you no longer need.
Where do I go if I need help using Kaltura?
Complete a quick form to request help. Help Form