For 28 years, I was in-house counsel for National Geographic Society. I retired from the position of Senior Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, and Managing Attorney. During my tenure at National Geographic, I developed and taught programs on Contract basics and Negotiation Skills to staff. Prior to working at National Geographic, I was in private practice as an associate at a telecommunications law firm. I started my career in Financial Planning for CBS, at its owned television station in Philadelphia, PA. I currently run my own business. As the Principal of BorkeWorks, I am passionate about helping people develop as effective negotiators. You can find out more about my business at BorkeWorks.com Links to an external site or on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/susanborke/.
- JD, James E. Beasley School of Law at Temple University
- BS, Economics, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- Business Law
Honors and distinctions
- DC Bar Distinguished Service Award for work as an Attorney Client Arbitration Board Arbitrator
- Acela Magazine's Top Women Lawyers in the Northeast (http://www.arrive-digital.com/arrive/20110708#pg95)
- National Geographic Certificate of Appreciation for teaching National Geographic Learning Systems courses in Due Diligence for Contracts and Negotiation Skills
- National Geographic Laura Carter “Outie” Award
- American Women in Radio and Television DC Chapter Leadership Award
Impact and engagement
Member District of Columbia Bar, 1986 - Present
Volunteer with Negotiation Works, which provides negotiation skills training to underserved populations in Washington, DC, Northern Maryland, and Northern Virginia.