- PhD, Information Systems, Syracuse University
- MS, Computer Science, Syracuse University
- MBA, Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
- BA (Hons.) Mathematics, St. Stephen's College, Delhi University
- W. Wang, J. Luo, J., M. Dugas, G. Gao, R. Agarwal, R. Werner, R. “Recency in Online Physician Ratings”, JAMA Internal Medicine, 2022;182(8):881-883.
- C.W. Liu, G. Gao, and R. Agarwal, “Reciprocity or Self-Interest? Leveraging Digital Social Connections for Healthy Behavior,” MIS Quarterly, 46(1), 2022, 261-298.
- R. Agarwal, M. Dugas, J. Ramaprasad, J. Luo, G. Li, G. Gao, “Socioeconomic privilege and political ideology are associated with racial disparity in COVID-19 vaccination, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, July 2021, DOI: 10.1073/pnas2107873118.
- A.D. Shukla, G. Gao, and R. Agarwal, “How Digital Word-of-Mouth Affects Consumer Decision Making: Evidence from Doctor Appointment Booking,” Management Science, 67(3), 1546-1568, 2021.
- R. Agarwal, M. Dugas, G. Gao, and P.K. Kannan, “Emerging Technologies and Analytics for a New Era of Value-Centered Marketing in Healthcare,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 48, No. 1., 2020.
- C.W. Liu, G. Gao, and R. Agarwal, "Unraveling the “Social” in Social Norms: The Conditioning Effect of User Connectivity. Information Systems Research 30.4, 2019. 1272-1295.
- R. Agarwal, C.W. Liu, and K. Prasad, “Personal Research, Second Opinions, and the Diagnostic Effort of Experts, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol. 158, February 2019, 44-61.
- M. Bjarnadottir, D. Anderson, K. Prasad, R. Agarwal, A.N. Nelson, “The Value of Shorter Initial Opioid Prescriptions: A Simulation Analysis, Pharmacoeconomics, 2019 Oct 21, 10.1007/s40273-019-00847-9
- R. Agarwal, M. Dugas, and G. Gao, "Augmenting Doctors with AI: Addressing Grand Challenges and Transforming Healthcare.
- Information Systems
Honors and distinctions
- Appointed Member, National Advisory Allergy and Infectious Diseases Council, National Institutes of Health, 2019-2022.
- President’s Medal, University of Maryland, 2021.
- Fellow, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), 2021.
- Included among top 2% of scientists worldwide across 27 different fields (PLoS Biol 2020).
- LEO Award for Lifetime Achievement, Association for Information Systems, 2019.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, 2018.
- Best Paper Award, MIS Quarterly, 2016 (selected from all papers published in the journal in 2015).
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), Editor-in-Chief, Information Systems Research, 2011-2016.
- Distinguished Fellow, Information Systems Society, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), 2013.
- Schoeller Senior Research Fellow, Dr. Theo and Friedl Schoeller Research Center for Business and Society, Nuremberg, Germany, 2013
- University of Maryland, Robert H. Smith School of Business, Krowe Teaching Award for Excellence, 2013.
- University of Maryland, Robert H. Smith School of Business NSF ADVANCE Professor, 2012-13.
- Fellow, Association of Information Systems, 2011.
- University of Maryland Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Award, 2011-2012.