Tinglong Dai is an Associate Professor of Operations Management and Business Analytics at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, with joint faculty appointments at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing and Institute for Data-Intensive Engineering and Science. He joined Carey in 2013 after receiving a PhD in Operations Management/Robotics from Carnegie Mellon. His research interests span across healthcare, marketing-operations interfaces, and human-AI interaction.
Professor Dai's work has been published in leading journals such as Management Science, M&SOM, Marketing Science, Operations Research, and INFORMS Journal on Computing, and has been recognized by Johns Hopkins Discovery Award, INFORMS Public Sector Operations Research Best Paper Award, POMS Best Healthcare Paper Award, and Wickham Skinner Early Career Award (Runner-Up). He is an Associate Editor of Naval Research Logistics and a Senior Editor of Production and Operations Management. He co-chairs the Johns Hopkins Symposium on Healthcare Operations and co-edits the Handbook of Healthcare Analytics: Theoretical Minimum for Conducting 21st Century Research on Healthcare Operations, published by John Wiley & Sons in 2018.
- Ph. D, Operations Management/Robotics, Carnegie Mellon University
- MS, Industrial Administration, Carnegie Mellon University
- M.Phil, Industrial Engineering & Engineering Management, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
- “Healthcare Operations Management: A Snapshot of Emerging Research” (with Sridhar Tayur), Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, forthcoming.
- “Incentive Design for Operations-Marketing Multitasking” (with Rongzhu Ke & Christopher T. Ryan), Management Science, forthcoming.
- “Co-opetition in Services with Waiting-Area Entertainment” (with Xuchuan Yuan, Lucy G. Chen, & Srinagesh Gavirneni), Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, forthcoming.
- “Innovative Online Platforms: Research Opportunities” (with Ying-Ju Chen, C. Gizem Korpeoglu, Ersin Korpeoglu, Ozge Sahin, Christopher S. Tang, & Shihong Xiao), Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Vol. 22, No. 3, May–June 2020, pp. 430–445, lead article.
- “Jumping the Line, Charitably: Analysis and Remedy of Donor-Priority Rule” (with Ronghuo Zheng & Katia Sycara), Management Science, Vol. 66, No. 2, Feb. 2020, pp. 622–641.
- “Conspicuous by Its Absence: Diagnostic Expert Testing under Uncertainty” (with Shubhranshu Singh), Marketing Science, Vol. 39, No. 3, May–June 2020, pp. 540-563.
- “Salesforce Contracting under Uncertain Demand and Supply: Double Moral Hazard and Optimality of Smooth Contracts” (with Kinshuk Jerath), Marketing Science, Vol. 38, No. 5, Sept.–Oct. 2019, pp. 852–870.
- “Imaging Room and Beyond: The Underlying Economics behind Physicians’ Test-Ordering Behavior in Outpatient Services” (with Mustafa Akan & Sridhar Tayur), Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Vol. 19, No. 1, Winter 2017, pp. 99–113.
- “Impact of Inventory on Quota-Bonus Contracts with Rent Sharing” (with Kinshuk Jerath), Operations Research, Vol. 64, No. 1, Jan.–Feb. 2016, pp. 94–98.
- “Contracting for On-Time Delivery in the U.S. Influenza Vaccine Supply Chain” (with Soo-Haeng Cho & Fuqiang Zhang), Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Vol. 18, No. 3, Summer 2016, pp. 332–346.
- “Salesforce Compensation with Inventory Considerations” (with Kinshuk Jerath), Management Science, Vol. 59, No. 11, Nov. 2013, pp. 2490–2501.
- Handbook of Healthcare Analytics: Theoretical Minimum for Conducting 21st Century Research on Healthcare Operations (with Sridhar Tayur), John Wiley & Sons, 2018.
- “Health Organizational Design: Information Exchange and Accountability” (with Soo-Hoon Lee & Phillip H. Phan), Wiley StatsRef: Statistics Reference Online, 2019, stat08229, John Wiley & Sons.
- “Game Theory and Information Economics,” Handbook of Healthcare Analytics: Theoretical Minimum for Conducting 21st Century Research on Healthcare Operations, T. Dai & S. Tayur (Eds), 2018, pp. 337–354, John Wiley & Sons.
- “The Evolutionary Trends of POM Research in Manufacturing” (with Sridhar Tayur) Routledge Companion to Production and Operations Management, M. Starr & S. Gupta (Eds), 2017, pp. 647– 662, Routledge.
- “Toward a Unified Negotiation Framework: Leveraging Strengths in Behavioral and Computational Communities” (with Nazli Turan, Katia Sycara, & Laurie Weingart), Models for Inter-Cultural Collaboration and Negotiation, M. Gelfand & K. Sycara (Eds), 2013, pp. 53–66, Springer.
- “Agent Reasoning in Negotiation” (with Katia Sycara), Handbook of Group Decision and Negotiation, M. Kilgour & C. Eden (Eds.), 2010, pp. 437–451, Springer.
- “Does Transportation Mean Transplantation? Impact of New Airline Routes on Sharing of Cadaveric Kidneys” (with Guihua Wang & Ronghuo Zheng)
- “Clinical Ambiguity and Conflicts of Interests in Interventional Cardiology Decision-Making”(with Xiaofang Wang & Chao-Wei Hwang)
- “A Theory of Interior Peaks: Activity Sequencing and Selection for Service Design” (with Yifu Li & Xiangtong Qi)
- “Subscriptions for Prescriptions: Implications and Execution of the ‘Netflix Model’” (with Ali Fattahi & Maqbool Dada)
- Operations Management
- Contracting: Incentive Design and Analytics
- Supply and Service Contracting
Honors and distinctions
- Wickham Skinner Early Career Award, Runner-Up, 2020
- Senior Editor, Production and Operations Management, 2019-present
- Associate Editor, Naval Research Logistics, 2019-present
- Malone Center for Engineering in Healthcare Seed Grant Award, 2019
- Management Science Distinguished Service Award, 2018, 2019
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Black & Decker Competitive Research Grant, 2018, 2019
- Manufacturing & Service Operations Management Meritorious Service Award, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Production & Operations Management Best Reviewer Award, 2018
- INFORMS Public Sector Operations Research Best Paper Award, 2017
- POMS College of Healthcare Operations Management Best Paper Award, Runner-Up, 2016
- Johns Hopkins Discovery Award, 2015
- Elwood S. Buffa Doctoral Dissertation Award, Finalist, 2014
- POMS College of Supply Chain Management Best Student Paper Award, Honorable Mention, 2013
- INFORMS Pierskalla Award for the Best Paper in Healthcare, Runner-Up, 2012
- INFORMS Case Competition, Second Place, 2012
- POMS College of Healthcare Operations Management Best Paper Award, 2012
In the media
- "Society’s Problems Need Our Best Business Minds" (July 27, 2020), Fortune
- "The PPE Supply Chain Is a Black Box—That Needs to Change" (July 25, 2020), Fortune
- "How to Build a Coronavirus Vaccine Supply Chain" (July 21, 2020), Bloomberg Law
- "Too Fast, Too Furious: Is U.S. Vaccine Development Headed in the Wrong Direction?" (July 16, 2020), Barron’s
- "Where Does Your PPE Come From? A Lack of Transparency Is Hurting Americans" (June 15, 2020), Fast Company
- "The U.S. Medical Supply Chain Isn’t Ready for a Second Wave" (June 23, 2020), Barron’s
- “As Postponed Surgeries Resume, Can U.S. Hospitals Handle the Strain?” (June 1, 2020), US News and World Report
- "Health care system could be overwhelmed as elective surgeries resume" (June 1, 2020), NBC 26
- “The Next Curve to Flatten May be for Elective Procedures” (June 1, 2020), Fierce Healthcare
- “Needed: A PPE Industrial Commons” (May 27, 2020), EE Times
- “Which COVID-19 Safety Policies Will Comfort Consumers? Businesses, Medical Experts and U.S. Consumers Weigh in on 10 Reopening Measures” (May 14, 2020), Morning Consult
- “As America Stays Home, Deliveries Have Struggled to Keep Up” (April 28, 2020), Chicago Tribune
- “This Would Be a Really Great Moment for Food Delivery Robots” (Mar. 25, 2020) Slate
- “Will Latin America See More Supply Chain Disruption?” (Mar. 25, 2020) Latin America Advisor
- “From Products to People: The Growing Impact of Supply Chain Interruptions During the Coronavirus Pandemic” (Mar. 18, 2020) Resoundingly Human, INFORMS Podcast
- “Coronavirus Rationing: Target, Walmart Limit Purchases of Hand Sanitizer, Disinfecting Wipes, Toilet Paper” (Mar. 11, 2020) USA Today
- “How Coronavirus Will Affect the Global Supply Chain” (Mar. 6, 2020) Hub, Johns Hopkins University
- “Top Doctors 'Undertest' Patients to Demonstrate Diagnostic Prowess to Peers, Study Finds” (Jan. 30, 2020) Hub, Johns Hopkins University
- "Can Doctor Ego Impact Your Diagnosis?" (Feb. 5, 2020) Resoundingly Human, INFORMS Podcast
- “New Research Offers Solution to Reduce Organ Shortage Crisis” (Sept. 4, 2019) Science Daily
- “AI, Robotics, Automation: The Fourth Industrial Revolution Is Here” (Dec. 27, 2018) Hub, Johns Hopkins University
- “Maryland Insurers Say Trump Administration to Cut Health Payments Destabilizes Market” (July 9, 2018) Baltimore Sun
- “Johns Hopkins Plans $469 Million Expansion and Modernization of Its Bayview Medical Center” (Mar. 2, 2018) Baltimore Sun
- “Partners in Pot: Maryland Marijuana Businesses Seek Novel Collaborations” (Dec. 27, 2015) Washington Post
- “Flu Vaccine Supply Chain Changes Needed to Stop Shortages” (Dec. 30, 2015) Pharmacy Times
- “Health Exchange Mulling Scenarios for How to Move Beyond Troubled Site” (Mar. 1, 2014) Baltimore Sun