Stacey Lee, JD
|Academic Area||Law & Ethics|
|Areas of Interest||Legal Foundations of Healthcare, Business Law, Negotiations|
Stacey Lee, JD, joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2008. She is a Professor in the practice track with expertise in business law, health law, and negotiations. Stacey is the Academic Program Director for the flagship Full-time MBA program. She also holds a joint appointment at the Bloomberg School of Public Health. Stacey's research interests have focused on pharmaceutical manufacturers' international and domestic influence on access to medicines and transformative healthcare negotiations. Before entering academia, Stacey practiced law for over ten years. She began as a securities litigator and later became in-house counsel for two of the country's largest healthcare corporations. Stacey also served as the senior regulatory specialist for America's Health Insurance Plans – the United States' largest national healthcare trade association.
Stacey is a Fulbright Specialist for her expertise in negotiations and healthcare law and has received numerous research grants and fellowships for her teaching innovations. She has received several awards for Faculty Excellence, including the Excellence in Teaching Award, year after year, at both Bloomberg and Carey. In addition, Stacey was a featured TEDx speaker on the topic of "Patient Voices." Her interviews, quotes, and writings have appeared in the Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, CBS, CNN, Bloomberg Radio, USA Today, NPR, TODAY.com, among other media outlets. Stacey's work has also featured in prominent law reviews and peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of Business Ethics, Yale Journal of Health Policy and Ethics, Annals of Health Law, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, and Health and Human Rights International Journal.
- JD, Law, University of Maryland School of Law
- BBA, Management, Loyola University
- Lee, Stacey B., et al., "An Empathetic Ear: Strategies of Employer Health and Wellness Negotiations" The Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics at Harvard Law School and the Harvard Law School Project on Disability (HPOD), Behavioral Economics, Build Back Better? 2022.
- Lee, Stacey B., et al., "Harnessing the Wind: A PISC Accountability Framework," American Law Review, 71 Am. U. L. Rev. F. 71, 2021.
- The Expanded Access Cure: A 21st Century Framework for Companies, J. BUS. ETHICS (May 2017).
- Untested Drugs to Treat Ebola: A Case of Uncompassionate Compassionate Use? O. N. UNIV. L. REV., Vol. 42, No. 2, 361–394 (Spring 2016).
- Stacey B. Lee, Drug Shortage Crisis: What Happens When Generic Manufacturers "Just Say No," OR. L. REV. Vol 90 No. 2, 355–402 (2014)
- Stacey B. Lee, Can Incentives to Generic Manufacturers Save Doha's Paragraph 6?, 44 GEO. J. INT’L L. 1387–1421 (2013).
- Stacey B. Lee, Pliva v. Mensing: Generic Manufacturers' Unfortunate Hand, 12 YALE J. HEALTH POL'Y L. & ETHICS 209–263 (Summer 2012).
- Stacey B. Lee, Using Mind Mapping To Bridge The Gap In Teaching Health Law To Non-Law Students, 21 Annals Health L. 281–290 (2012).
- Stacey B. Lee, "Informed Consent: Enforcing Pharmaceutical Companies' Obligations Abroad," 12 Health & Hum. Rts: Int’l. J. 15–28 (2010).
- Stacey B. Lee, Is A Cure on the Way? – The Bad Medicine of Citizen Petitions, Generics, and Noerr-Pennington Immunity, 20 Kan. J.L. & Pub. Pol'y, 98–126 (Fall 2010).
- Business Law, Health Care Law and Regulation
- Health Care Law and Regulation
- Negotiation in Health Care Settings
- Business Law
Honors and distinctions
- Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Dean's Award for Faculty Excellence - Awarded to faculty who provide exemplary service to the school. 2016–2022
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Outstanding Teaching Award- Ranked among 20% of all faculty for Negotiations in Healthcare Settings course for the Fourth Term, Winter Session, and Summer Institute. 2017–2022
- Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Excellence in Teaching Award - Student nominated award based on course evaluations and pedagogy in Business Law and Legal Foundations of Health courses. 2012, 2014, 2017, 2018
- Fullbright Specialist - Selected for Fullbright Specialist Roster for expertise in Healthcare Law and Negotiations. 2017–2020
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Carey Business School Faculty of the Year - The MBA/MPH cohort nominated student award based on course evaluations and pedagogy in Business Law and Negotiations courses. 2012, 2014
- Faculty Fellow – Greenwall Fellowship Program in Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics and Health Policy, 2011–2012.
- Health Law Scholar – Selected by the American Society Law Medicine & Ethics and the Saint Louis University Center for Health Law Studies, 2010.
- Bar Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1997
- State of Maryland, 1995
- Maryland Court Certified Mediator