Paul Gurny joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2006 as a Senior Professional Instructor. He is the Managing Director of Essential Seminars for Physicians, LLC (ES4P), which provides educational seminars to physicians on a range of business issues. Most recently, Mr. Gurny was the VP for Quality Measurement and Performance Outcomes for InforMed, a database warehouse and care management firm. Prior to InforMed, he was the Deputy Secretary of Health Care Financing for the state of Maryland. He also worked for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in the Office of Research and Demonstrations and served as a technical advisor to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Standards and Quality Bureau. He graduated from the George Washington University and holds an MBA with a concentration in health care and an MSc in finance, both from Loyola University in Maryland.
Honors and distinctions
- CMS - Special Achievement - Design of Competitive Bidding Payment Systems 1985
- Special Evaluation Design of Current Medicare Beneficiary Survey 1991
- Sustained Performance 1988, 1989, 1991
- HHS, OIG - Research Integrity - Clinical Laboratories 1988
- The National University Continuing Education Association - First Place Award 1996, 1999 Distance Learning Second Place 1999
- Gurny, Paul A. and Clopton, Thomas A. "Medicare Outpatient Clinical Laboratory Services Payments: Relative Value Scale Approach." Health Care Financing Review. Winter, 1986.
- Gurny, Paul A., et al, "A Description of Medicaid Eligibility," Health Care Financing Review, 1992 Annual Supplement. P.207-225.
- Gurny, Paul A., et al, "A Description of Medicaid-Covered Services," Health Care Financing Review. 1992 Annual Supplement. P.227-234.
- Gurny, Paul A., et al, "Payment, Administration, and Financing of the Medicaid Program," Health Care Financing Review. 1992 Annual Supplement. P.285-301.
- Gurny, Paul A., McCombs, Jeffery S., "Economic Forces in the Health Care Sector," Eds. Horn, Susan D. and Hopkins, David S.P., Clinical Practice Improvement: A New Technology for Developing Cost-Effective Quality Health Care. Faulkner and Gray, 1994.
- Jayaram, G., Samuels, J., Schretlen, D., and Gurny, P., "Cognitive Limitations and Severe Mental Illness: Concerns for Managed Care," Managed Care Quarterly. Vol.5, No.3. Summer 1997. Pp.28-34.
- Hitti, E., Lewin, J., Hansen, J., Lopez, J., and Gurny, P. “Improving Door-to-Antibiotic Time in Severely Septic Emergency Department Patients,” Journal of Emergency Medicine, January 2011.