Mr. Gurny has extensive expertise in the design and evaluation of health care reimbursement methodologies, decision analysis systems, process engineering, outcomes research, and quality improvement. Paul has also been recognized for leadership in the development and design of post-graduate educational programs in business and health care.
Currently, Paul is the Managing Director of Essential Seminars for Physicians, LLC (ES4P), which provides educational seminars to physicians on a range of business issues. Most recently, Mr. Gurny was the VP for Quality Measurement and Performance Outcomes for InforMed, a database warehouse and care management firm. Prior to InforMed, he was the Deputy Secretary of Health Care Financing for the state of Maryland. Paul has been an adjunct faculty member at Johns Hopkins since 1986 and was the chief architect of the Hopkins Business of Medicine program. He also worked for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in the Office of Research and Demonstrations. He has served as a technical advisor to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Standards and Quality Bureau and has been a referee for the Health Care Financing Review. He graduated from the George Washington University. Paul is also a graduate of the InterMountain Healthcare Delivery Improvement Program. He has published a number of scientific articles and has lectured to local, national, and international organizations on measuring quality in health care and methods to systematically and continuously improve medical care.
- MBA, Loyola University of Maryland
- MS, Finance, Loyola University of Maryland
- BA, Zoology, George Washington University
- Lockwood, Dean H., Gurny, Paul A., and Livingston, James N. "Insulin Like Effects of Polyamines in Fat Cells," Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol.252 (January 25, 1977).
- Gurny, Paul A. and Clopton, Thomas A. "Medicare Outpatient Clinical Laboratory Services Payments: Relative Value Scale Approach." Health Care Financing Review. Winter, 1986.
- Gurny, Paul A., et al, "A Description of Medicaid Eligibility," Health Care Financing Review, 1992 Annual Supplement. P.207-225.
- Gurny, Paul A., et al, "Payment, Administration, and Financing of the Medicaid Program," Health Care Financing Review. 1992 Annual Supplement. P.285-301.
- Gurny, Paul A., Clinical Practice Improvement, Academy for Health Services Marketing. 1994 Symposium Digest.
- Jayaram, G., Samuels, J., Schretlen, D., and Gurny, P., "Cognitive Limitations and Severe Mental Illness: Concerns for Managed Care," Managed Care Quarterly. Vol.5, No.3. Summer 1997. Pp.28-34.
- Hitti, E., Lewin, J., Hansen, J., Lopez, J., and Gurny,P. “Improving Door-to-Antibiotic Time in Severely Septic Emergency Department Patients,” Journal of Emergency Medicine, January, 2011.
- Orsini, R.A. and Gurny, P.A., “The Search for Excellence in Clinical Practice: A handbook on Clinical Process Improvement for Providers,” Sentia Publishing, Dallas, TX 2017
- Corporate Strategy
- Corporate Strategy
- Global Strategy
Honors and distinctions
- Technical advisor to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Standards and Quality Bureau
- Referee for the Health Care Financing Review
- CMS Special Achievement - Design of Competitive Bidding Payment Systems 1985
- Special Evaluation Design of Current Medicare Beneficiary Survey 1991
- Sustained Performance 1988, 1989, 1991
- HHS, OIG - Research Integrity - Clinical Laboratories 1988
- The National University Continuing Education Association - First Place Award 1996, 1999, Distance Learning Second Place 1999
Impact and engagement
- Consultant on Healthcare issues for Gerson Lehrman Group
- Mentor for High School Students "Uprising" Church of the Nativity, Timonium, MD
- Member of Santa's Helpers
- Contributor and participant to "Wounded Warriors on the Bay"