James R. Calvin, PhD (Communication, Culture, and Phenomenology, New York University) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 1996. He is a Professor in the practice track with expertise in the areas of leadership development, community economic development and nonprofit organizations.
Honors and distinctions
- 2019 Ted K. Bradshaw Outstanding Research Award, Community Development Society
- Best Paper Award in Management Track, Academy of Business Research, March 20, 2012
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association, 2011
- Academy of Management Outstanding Leadership and Service Award, 2009
- Society for Advancement of Management Service Award, 2003-2008
- Recipient of the NASA Certificate of Appreciation for the development and Launch of the Accelerated Leadership Program, September 26, 2003
- National Leadership Award in Appreciation of Effective Contributions to the Improvement of American Education, Institute for Educational Leadership, March 1996
- Editorial Board,Community Development Journal, 2002 to present
- Editorial Board, Society for Advancement of Management Journal, 2000 to present
- Calvin, J., Moore, K. A., Beale, R. L. (September 2012). A global imperative for achieving managerial strength and synergy through the mitigation of micro-aggression workplace behavior. To appear in Academy of Business Research Journal, III. info@academyofbusinessresearchjournal
- Calvin, J.R., Lee, K.S. (2006, June). Stronger relationships, stronger communities: Lessons from a regional initiative. American Journal of Community Psychology. Springer, Volume 37, Numbers 34.
- Calvin, J.R. (2003, Autumn). Leadership networking and active transitions in the workplace. Freedoms, energy and transformative relationships. Society for Advancement of Management Journal, Volume 68, Number 4.
- Calvin, J.R. (2001, Summer). The post-learning organization: Work and life in diverse systems into the new millennium. Futures Research Quarterly, 16(4), 11-19
- Calvin, J.R. (1998, Spring). Values across cultural domains and borders: Technology and society in transformation. Futures Research Quarterly, 14(1), 77-86.
- Calvin, J.R. (1996, Fall). Adaptive and innovative leadership-capacity through reflective practice research. Futures Research Quarterly, 12(3), 63-76.
Works in progress
- Calvin, J. (In Review) The age of Obama: Public policy considerations for government leaders, international organizations, and business and society in new globalization. In Love Chile (Ed.), AUT Globalization and Public Policy. Auckland.
- Calvin, J.R. (In Review). A Baltimore city approach to business viability and sustainability: Affecting a green business strategy to promote new business ventures. Advanced Management Journal. Society for Advancement of Management.
- Calvin, J.R., Green, E. (In Review) Experience and strategy for African American managers in a competitive global environment. Paper is currently being revised.