Goker Aydin, PhD
|Academic Area||Operations Management & Business Analytics|
|Areas of Interest||Supply Chain Management; Revenue Management; Managing the Supply Risk; Social Responsibility in Supply Chains|
Goker Aydin is the Vice Dean for Faculty and Research, and Professor of Operations Management & Business Analytics at Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. He joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2017.
Goker's research is driven by the demand and supply uncertainty facing both retailers and their suppliers. To manage such uncertainty, firms can use inventory as a buffer, or they can leverage their prices to match supply with demand. Goker’s research uses mathematical models to gain insights into such inventory and pricing decisions. His recent research deals with how firms can proactively manage the supply risk, with a particular focus on the role of social responsibility initiatives in improving supply chain performance. His research has been published in leading operations management journals. He serves as an Associate Editor for Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, and has served as a Senior Editor for Production and Operations Management.
Goker taught several different courses on supply chain management, revenue management, and data analytics. He served as a faculty advisor for an experiential course that combined on-campus instruction with work and travel in developing countries. Most recently, he taught an experiential course on business analytics, which features a client-sponsored project combined with lectures on data visualization. He previously served as the Academic Program Director for MS in Business Analytics & Risk Management at Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.
Prior to joining Carey, Goker served on the faculty of the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University and the Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering at the University of Michigan.
- Ph. D, Industrial Engineering, Stanford University
- MS, Industrial Engineering, Purdue University
- BS, Industrial Engineering, Bogazici University
- H. Zhang, G. Aydin, H. S. Heese “Curbing the Usage of Conflict Minerals: A Supply Network Perspective.” Accepted for publication in Decision Sciences.
- H. Zhang, G. Aydin, R. P. Parker “Social Responsibility Auditing in Supply Chain Networks.” Management Science, 2022, 68:1058-1077.
- M. Ghuloum, B. Song, G. Aydin, G. C. Souza “Joint Dynamic Pricing with Acquisition and Selling Opportunities.” European Journal of Operational Research, 2022, 297:252-267.
- S. Ye, G. Aydin, S. Hu “Sponsored Search Marketing: Dynamic Pricing and Advertising for an Online Retailer.” Management Science, 2015, 61:1255-1274.
- B. Rodriguez, G. Aydin “Pricing and Assortment Decisions for a Manufacturer Selling through Dual Channels.” European Journal of Operational Research, 2015, 242:901-909.
- G. Aydin, H. S. Heese “Bargaining for an Assortment.” Management Science, 2015, 61:542-559.
- S. Guo, G. Aydin, G. C. Souza “Dismantle or Remanufacture?” European Journal of Operational Research, 2014, 233:580-583.
- M. Mayorga, H. Ahn, G. Aydin “Optimal Assortment and Inventory Decisions with Multiple Quality Levels.” Annals of Operations Research, 2013, 211:301-331.
- C. Kuo, H. Ahn, G. Aydin “Pricing Policy in a Supply Chain: Negotiation or Posted Pricing.” Production and Operations Management, 2013, 22:626-641.
- T. Kotsi, A. Aflaki, G. Aydin, A. Pedraza Martinez “Allocation of Nonprofit Funds Among Program, Fundraising, and Administration.” In preparation for second round of review at Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
- S. Ye, G. Aydin, S. Hu “Optimal Spending for a Search Funnel.” Working paper.
- Big Data Consulting Project
- Supply Chain Analytics
- Data Analytics
Honors and distinctions
- Associate Editor / Senior Editor for: Decision Sciences (2013-2022); Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (2019-present); Production and Operations Management (2016-2022)
- 2015, 2014 Indiana University Kelley School MBA Class Teaching Excellence Award
- 2015 Indiana University Kelley School Trustee Teaching Award
- 2015 Runner up, MSOM iFORM Best Paper Award, “Using a Dual Sourcing Option in the Presence of Asymmetric Information about Supplier Reliability: Competition vs. Diversification”
- 2014 Management Science Distinguished Service Award
- 2018, 2012, 2011 Management Science Meritorious Service Award
- 2017, 2011, 2009 M&SOM Meritorious Service Award
- 2009 INFORMS JFIG Paper Competition Finalist, “Personalized Dynamic Pricing of Limited Inventories”
- 2008 Alpha Pi Mu Outstanding Professor of the Year, awarded by the student honor society Alpha Pi Mu, Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- 2008 Jon R. and Beverly S. Holt Award for Excellence in Teaching, awarded by the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan