Earn two degrees, an MBA from Johns Hopkins and an MA in Design Leadership from the Maryland Institute College of Art, in less time and for less money with this dual degree.
Johns Hopkins and MICA
The only degree of its kind that leverages a world-class research institution, Johns Hopkins, and a premier art school, MICA.
Lead in design
The unique integrated curriculum creates leaders unafraid to think differently, producing creative visionaries capable of transforming companies, marketplaces, and human welfare.
Build a network
Cohorts consist of students with a broad range of backgrounds. Students have access to both Johns Hopkins and MICA alumni networks, allowing students to build powerful professional networks spanning industries and disciplines.
Learn about our class profile.
- 623 75th percentile GMAT score
- 3.35 average undergraduate GPA
- 87 percent female / 13 percent male
- 5 years average of full-time work experience
- 93 percent of students from the U.S.
* Footnote: Fall 2019 incoming class
In the Design Leadership (MA/MBA), you will master creative approaches to strategic decision-making while also learning how to apply these skills to complex management challenges and business opportunities.
The 2021 edition of the Carey Business School University Catalog is available.
This program begins with a MICA-run, three-credit summer intensive called Foundations of Design Leadership. In the fall, students enroll in classes available through Carey Business School’s MBA program and in MICA's MA in Design Leadership curriculum. Students can choose an MBA specialization, but are not required to.
MBA Business Foundations (20 credits)
- Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Business Analytics
- Business Communication*
- Corporate Finance
- Economics for Decision Making
- Marketing Management
- Operations Management
- Statistical Analysis
- Strategic Management
- Leadership and Organizational Behavior
MBA Electives** (22 credits)
- City Lab
- Data Analytics
- Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Fixed Income
- Managing in a Diverse & Global World
- Marketing Strategy
- Social Media Analytics
- Wealth Management
- *Online sections of Business Communication also require students to attend an in-person residency at the Baltimore campus. The residency for Business Communication is two days.
- **Not a comprehensive list
MA in Design Leadership (24 credits)
- Foundations of Design Leadership
- Creativity and Innovation
- Cultural Relevance and Awareness
- Forecasting and Realization
- Sustainability and Social Responsiveness
- The Competitive Advantage I and II
- Intersections of Business and Design I and II
MBA Specializations Offered
Gain experience putting your skills to the test solving your client’s business challenges while honing your analytic and leadership skills along the way.
Of course, your MBA isn’t just about skills learned— but also the networks you build. Whether you are taking courses online or on campus, experiential learning is your opportunity to connect with your classmates while developing complex problem-solving skills.
From CityLab, where you can partner with existing economic and community development projects to position yourself for a career in urban innovation and entrepreneurial business with social impact, to Discovery to Market, where you can transform scientific discovery into a viable commercial enterprise, the MA/MBA program offers multiple opportunities for experiential learning.
Average base salary
Average signing bonus
Design Leadership (MA/MBA) students becomes trailblazers across industries. Here is a sampling of some of the employers who have hired graduates of this program
- Deloitte Consulting
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- JP Morgan Chase
- Marriott International
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Postal Service
- Senior Design Strategist
- Project Manager, Service Design
- User Experience Strategist
- Senior Consultant
- Software Designer
- UX Strategist/Designer
- Vice President, Strategic Initiatives
- UI/UX Interaction Designer