Earn two degrees, an MBA from Johns Hopkins and an MA in Design Leadership from the Maryland Institute College of Art, in less time and for less money with this dual degree.
Johns Hopkins and MICA
The only degree of its kind that leverages a world-class research institution, Johns Hopkins, and a premier art school, MICA.
Lead in design
The unique integrated curriculum creates leaders unafraid to think differently, producing creative visionaries capable of transforming companies, marketplaces, and human welfare.
Build a network
Cohorts consist of students with a broad range of backgrounds. Students have access to both Johns Hopkins and MICA alumni networks, allowing students to build powerful professional networks spanning industries and disciplines.
Learn about our class profile.
- 623 75th percentile GMAT score
- 3.35 average undergraduate GPA
- 87 percent female / 13 percent male
- 5 years average of full-time work experience
- 93 percent of students from the U.S.
* Footnote: Fall 2019 incoming class
In the Design Leadership (MA/MBA), you will master creative approaches to strategic decision-making while also learning how to apply these skills to complex management challenges and business opportunities.
The 2021 edition of the Carey Business School University Catalog is available.
This program begins with a MICA-run, three-credit summer intensive called Foundations of Design Leadership. In the fall, students enroll in classes available through Carey Business School’s MBA program and in MICA's MA in Design Leadership curriculum. Students can choose an MBA concentration, but are not required to.
MBA foundations (30 credits)
- BU.120.601 Business Communication
- BU.121.610 Negotiation
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.132.601 Business Law
- BU.220.610 The Firm and the Macroeconomy
- BU.220.620 Economics for Decision Making
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
- BU.520.601 Business Analytics
- BU.142.620 Leadership in Organizations
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.231.620 Corporate Finance
- BU.350.620 Information Systems
- BU.410.620 Marketing Management
- BU.680.620 Operations Management
- BU.232.701 Investments
MBA sample electives (12 credits)
- BU.232.720 Fixed Income
- BU.330.730 Cybersecurity
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.151.770 Power and Politics
- BU.550.620 Evaluating Health Care Innovations
- BU.152.710 Entrepreneurial Ventures
- BU.450.730 Design Leadership
- BU.242.710 Real Estate Funds and Portfolio Management
- BU.232.730 Wealth Management
- BU.152.740 and BU.152.745 City Lab
- BU.150.710 and BU.150.715 Discovery to Market
- BU.151.620 Global Strategy
- BU.231.720 Corporate Governance
- BU.450.710 Marketing Strategy
MA in Design Leadership (24 credits)
- Foundations of Design Leadership
- Creativity and Innovation
- Cultural Relevance and Awareness
- Forecasting and Realization
- Sustainability and Social Responsiveness
- The Competitive Advantage I and II
- Intersections of Business and Design I and II
MBA Concentrations Offered on Campus
- Financial businesses
- Health Care management
- Interdisciplinary business
- Leading organizations
Gain experience putting your skills to the test solving your client’s business challenges while honing your analytic and leadership skills along the way.
Of course, your MBA isn’t just about skills learned— but also the networks you build. Whether you are taking courses online or on campus, experiential learning is your opportunity to connect with your classmates while developing complex problem-solving skills.
From CityLab, where you can partner with existing economic and community development projects to position yourself for a career in urban innovation and entrepreneurial business with social impact, to Discovery to Market, where you can transform scientific discovery into a viable commercial enterprise, the MA/MBA program offers multiple opportunities for experiential learning.
Average base salary
Average signing bonus
Design Leadership (MA/MBA) students becomes trailblazers across industries. Here is a sampling of some of the employers who have hired graduates of this program
- Deloitte Consulting
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- JP Morgan Chase
- Marriott International
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Postal Service
- Senior Design Strategist
- Project Manager, Service Design
- User Experience Strategist
- Senior Consultant
- Software Designer
- UX Strategist/Designer
- Vice President, Strategic Initiatives
- UI/UX Interaction Designer