After 25 years of owning and building his own food distribution business, Fred Katz, who describes himself as a “true entrepreneur,” decided to pursue his love of teaching. Along the way, he has maintained and strengthened his consulting ties with major consumer product corporations such as Coca-Cola, Borden, Procter & Gamble, ConAgra, Keebler, and Nabisco, with areas of expertise that include retail food sales, product distribution technology, and marketing, as well as the intricacies of successfully operating a family business. His 35 years of teaching both graduate and undergraduate business students have included 17 years at Johns Hopkins, currently in the areas of competitive strategy, marketing, and entrepreneurship. In 2009, Katz received a Johns Hopkins University Excellence in Teaching Award for the Carey Business School from the Johns Hopkins University’s Alumni Association.
Honors and distinctions
- Montgomery County Best and Brightest Award, NAACP (May 2010, May 2014)
- 2009 Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Excellence in Teaching Award (2009)
- Katz, F., Budd, N., Frick, K., Gittlesohn, J., Cuccia, A., Jeffries, J., Prasad, D., Powell, L. (2015). B’More healthy: retail rewards - design of a multi-level communications and pricing intervention to improve the food environment in Baltimore City. BMC Public Health, 15, 283. doi:10.1186/s12889-015-1616-6 (283rd ed., vol. 15, pp. 0.1186/s12889-015-1616-6). BMC Public Health.
- Katz, F., Global Sales Conference Intermec Technologies, Orlando, FL (Jan 2008)
- Katz, F., American Food Service Technologies Customer Seminar, "Fingerprints Cost You Money", Pheonix, AZ (Apr 2007)
- Katz, F., DSD Strategies Seminar Stagnito Publications, Orlando, FL (May 2006)