After 25 years of owning and building his own food distribution business, Fred Katz, who describes himself as a “true entrepreneur,” decided to pursue his love of teaching. Along the way, he has maintained and strengthened his consulting ties with major consumer product corporations such as Coca-Cola, Borden, Procter & Gamble, ConAgra, Keebler, and Nabisco, with areas of expertise that include retail food sales, product distribution technology, and marketing, as well as the intricacies of successfully operating a family business. His 36 years of teaching both graduate and undergraduate business students have included 18 years at Johns Hopkins, currently in the areas of competitive strategy, marketing, and entrepreneurship. In 2009, Katz received a Johns Hopkins University Excellence in Teaching Award for the Carey Business School from the Johns Hopkins University’s Alumni Association.
- MBA, Marketing, University of Maryland School of Business
- BS, Marketing and Personnel Management
- Katz, F., Budd, N., Frick, K., Gittlesohn, J., Cuccia, A., Jeffries, J., Prasad, D., Powell, L. (2015). B’More healthy: retail rewards - design of a multi-level communications and pricing intervention to improve the food environment in Baltimore City. BMC Public Health, 15, 283. doi:10.1186/s12889-015-1616-6 (283rd ed., vol. 15, pp. 0.1186/s12889-015-1616-6). BMC Public Health.
- Katz, F., Global Sales Conference Intermec Technologies, Orlando, FL (Jan 2008)
- Katz, F., American Food Service Technologies Customer Seminar, "Fingerprints Cost You Money", Pheonix, AZ (Apr 2007)
- Katz, F., DSD Strategies Seminar Stagnito Publications, Orlando, FL (May 2006)
- Branding and Marketing Communications
- Marketing Management
- Sales Force and Channels of Distribution
- Business to Business Marketing
- Entrepreneurial Ventures
- New Product Development
- Medical Marketing
Honors and distinctions
- Montgomery County Best and Brightest Award, NAACP (May 2010, May 2014)
- 2009 Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Excellence in Teaching Award (2009)
Impact and engagement
- Maryland State Department of Education Teaching License, Business Education & Technology
- Management Consultant, Various Industries, Marketing and Technology
- Board Member, Youngpreneurs. (January 1, 2016 - Present).
- Principal Responsibilities:
- Board Member for start -up Entrepreneur project for Indian youth. (Ages 13-19)
- Attendee, Meeting, Healthy Food Retail Panel. (May 1, 2015 – July 1, 2017).
Healthy Eating Research has identified the need to develop minimum requirements for the type, variety, and amount of healthy foods that should be provided in healthy food stores, as well as, the need to identify promising practices related to in-store marketing, including product placement, promotion, and pricing that encourage the purchase of these healthier items. The development of these guidelines will take into consideration current research, guidelines, standards, and input from experts in the field. While the recommendations developed will be voluntary, their existence may help guide future federal, state, and local policies that aim to define and create requirements for healthy stores.