Carey in the City
The Carey Business School Alumni Relations and Career Development Offices are excited to bring you the finale of this virtual multi-part series, based on each of Carey's seven domestic regional alumni clubs.
Join us for an insightful conversation about living, working, and job-searching in, and relocating to, each of the three regions profiled this spring. You will hear first-hand experiences from alumni from each region as we strive to grow the Carey community in cities across the country.
Here is the schedule and registration links for the Spring 2022 events:
- Los Angeles -- Tuesday, February 22, 5:00-6:00pm PT REGISTER HERE
- Denver -- Thursday, February 24, 5:00-6:00pm MT REGISTER HERE
- Baltimore/DC -- Tuesday, March 1, 5:00-6:00pm ET REGISTER HERE
**Employer trek strategy has shifted this year due to travel limitations and virtual work environments.
Employer treks provide students with opportunities to travel and engage with business leaders, learn about key industries, and meet Johns Hopkins Carey Business School alumni.
Students assist in planning each trek with support from the Carey Business School Career Development Office. Last year, over 230 students participated in 17 treks to local, domestic, and international employers. Students can participate in either CDO Signature Treks and Student Organization Led Treks.
Treks can include:
- Facility tours
- Host company presentations
- Functional expert panels
- Case question practice
- Meeting with executives
- Human Resources Q&A
Types of treks
Signature Treks are initiated by the Career Development Office (CDO) and planned by CDO and a selected Trek Leader and take place in January. Plans for the January 2020 Signature Treks are underway for the following:
- Consulting – Washington, DC
- Healthcare – Boston, MA
- Finance – New York, NY
- Marketing - New York, NY
- Social Impact - Washington, DC
- Technology & Innovation – San Francisco, CA
Student Organization Led Treks are initiated and planned by Student Organizations with support from CDO. Timing, location, and employers are determined by Student Organization Trek Leaders. To begin planning your student organization led trek, please read the Trek Guide below, review annual plan with Student Ventures and email Carey.Careerdevelopment@jhu.edu.
Past examples of employer trek visits in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and China include Morgan Stanley, Bloomberg, Facebook, Exelon, GE, Microsoft, Bank of America, Deloitte, Novartis, Google, Accenture, A.T. Kearney, JD.com, L’Oréal, The World Bank, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Facebook, Ideo, Autodesk.**
Signature Trek applications
- Trek applications open on 9/3/19 and close on 10/14/19 at 9AM EDT.
- Applications will be reviewed and offers made on a rolling basis.
- Application will be available in the Jobs section of Handshake on 9/3/19.
Signature Trek applications will be evaluated on the following:
- Timeliness of application submission
- Cohesive, thoughtful responses to application
- Updated and focused resume
- Executive presence at interview
- Clear link between career interests and motivation for top preferences
- Demonstrated professionalism and reliability when RSVPing and attending Carey events (i.e. RSVPing to events and showing up late or not at all, professional presence, etc.)
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO GET STARTED, PLEASE REVIEW THE TREK GUIDE.