Luyi Yang is an assistant professor of operations management and business analytics at Johns Hopkins University, Carey Business School. His research interests include consumer-driven service operations, business model innovation, applied mechanism design, digital marketplace, sustainable operations, sharing economy, and operations-marketing interface. A major focus of his work is on emerging yet high-stakes issues that involve novel operational processes and new economic tradeoffs. His research has been published or accepted by premier journals such as Management Science and Manufacturing & Service Operations Management and has been recognized by several best paper awards.
- Ph. D, Operations Management, The University of Chicago
- MBA, The University of Chicago
- BS, Industrial Engineering, Tsinghua University
- BA, English, Tsinghua University
- The Economics of Line-Sitting (2020) with S. Cui and Z. Wang. Management Science 66(1): 227-242
- Invite Your Friend and You'll Move up in Line: Optimal Design of Referral Priority Programs (2019) Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (Forthcoming)
- Search Among Queues Under Quality Differentiation (2019) with L. Debo and V. Gupta. Management Science 65(8):3605-3623.
- Referral Priority Program: Leveraging Social Ties via Operational Incentives (2019) with L. Debo. Management Science 65(5): 2231-2248.
- Trading Time in a Congested Environment (2017) with L. Debo and V. Gupta. Management Science 63(7):2377-2395.
- To Brush or Not to Brush: Product Rankings, Customer Search, and Fake Orders, with C. Jin and K. Hosanagar
- Slugging: Casual Carpooling for Urban Transit, with S. Cui, K. Li, J. Wang
- Right to Repair: Pricing, Profit, Welfare, and Environmental Implications, with C. Jin and C. Zhu
- Operations Management
Honors and distinctions
- 2019 INFORMS Junior Faculty Interest Group (JFIG) Paper Competition, Honorable Mention
- 2019 INFORMS Service Science Best Paper Award Competition, Finalist
- 2019 Networks, Electronic Commerce and Telecommunications (NET) Institute Summer Research Grant
- 2019 Management Science Distinguished Service Award
- 2018 INFORMS Service Science Section Best Cluster Paper Award, Finalist
- Dean's Award for Faculty Excellence, 2018, 2019
- 2015 INFORMS IBM Service Science Section Best Student Paper Award, Third Place
- 2015 CSAMSE/Columbia Business Initiative Best Paper Award, Third Place
- 2012 INFORMS RAS Problem Solving Competition, First Place
In the media
- As VIP online waiting lists gain in popularity, study finds potential pitfalls (2018) JHU Hub
- Hurry up and Wait (2018) Changing Business
- When Does Waiting in Line Seem Unfair? (2016) Tuck News
- What's Your Approach To Your Queuing Experience? (2016) Forbes
- Why attempts to cut medical wait times can backfire (2016) Chicago Booth Review