Yuval Bar-Or, PhD (University of Pennsylvania) is an Associate Professor on the practice track at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. In 2014 he founded the Pillars of Wealth financial literacy initiative, aimed at equipping medical professionals with the knowledge to make better financial decisions for their families and medical practices. Prior to joining the Carey Business School, Dr. Bar-Or spent a decade in the private sector, holding increasingly senior roles at risk management industry leaders including San-Francisco based KMV and Algorithmics in New York City. He retired from the private sector as a Managing Director with executive responsibilities. Dr. Bar-Or is the author of several books and has been quoted in various media, including the Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, USA Today, The Baltimore Sun, US News & World Report, and The Washingtonian Magazine, among others. He has lectured extensively on the subjects of decision making, risk management, and financial literacy.
Honors and distinctions
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2016, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2015, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2015, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School
- University of Pennsylvania Dean’s Fellowship of Distinguished Merit (1996)
- Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellowship (1995)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (1993)
- Bar-Or, Yuval “Human Considerations in Turnaround Management: A Practitioner’s View” in Turnaround Management and Bankruptcy, Routledge Advances in Management and Business Studies (Book 69). Edited by Jan Adriaanse, Jean-Pierre van der Rest. Routledge, March 2017
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Pillars of Wealth: Personal Finance Essentials for Medical Professionals, Revised Edition, TLB Publishing, 2017
- Bar-Or, Yuval “Relying on People to Compete with Corporate Dental Practices” (October/November, 2015) Progressive Dentist Magazine.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Empowering Physicians with Financial Literacy” (July/August issue, 2015) Journal of Medical Practice Management
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Understanding Uncertainty and Common Risk Management Challenges” (March/April 2015) Investments & Wealth Monitor
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Pillars of Wealth: Finance and Business Essentials for Medical Practices. 2014
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Leveraging People for a Corporate Turnaround. (Chinese Translation) The Commercial Press, Beijing, China (2012).
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Blind Spots in Current Risk Management Practices: Measurement Error” Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions, Volume 1 No. 4, July 2008
- Bar-Or et al., “The Wage Premium to a University Education: 1971-1991,” Journal of Labor Economics 13 (Oct. 1995)