Dr. Bar-Or is an award-winning professor and founder of the Pillars of Wealth personal finance literacy initiative for doctors. He is an Associate Professor of Practice at Johns Hopkins University's Carey Business School and serves as the academic director of the Flex MBA and dual degree programs.
Dr. Bar-Or is the author of several books and a former business executive with global managerial experience. He has lectured extensively in academic, government, and corporate settings and has been quoted in various media including The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Reuters, USA Today, The Los Angeles Times, The Baltimore Sun, Hopkins Medicine Magazine, Consumers Digest, and US News & World Report, among others. As an unbiased expert in physician financial literacy, he is a sought-after speaker at physician wellness conferences and private events.
As a college student, Dr. Bar-Or was a member of the varsity wrestling and rugby teams, and prior to that a provincially ranked gymnast.
- Ph. D, Finance, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- MA, Finance, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- MA, Non-Fiction Writing, Johns Hopkins University
- MA, Economics, McMaster University
- BA, Economics, McMaster University
- BEng, Engineering, McMaster University
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Pillars of Wealth: Personal Finance Essentials for Medical Professionals, 2020 Edition. TLB Publishing: Ellicott City, Maryland, July 2020
- Bar-Or, Yuval, “Unbiased education in personal finance should start early in a doctor’s training,” Hopkins Medicine Magazine, Winter 2019
- Bar-Or, Yuval, Fessler H E, Desai D A, Zakaria S “Implementation of a Comprehensive Curriculum in Personal Finance for Medical Fellows.” Cureus 10(1): e2013. DOI 10.7759/cureus.2013, January 01, 2018
- Bar-Or, Yuval “Human Considerations in Turnaround Management: A Practitioner’s View” in Turnaround Management and Bankruptcy, Routledge Advances in Management and Business Studies (Book 69). Edited by Jan Adriaanse, Jean-Pierre van der Rest. Routledge, March 2017
- Bar-Or, Yuval “Relying on People to Compete with Corporate Dental Practices” (October/November, 2015) Progressive Dentist Magazine.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Empowering Physicians with Financial Literacy” Journal of Medical Practice Management, 46-49. July/August issue, 2015
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Pillars of Wealth: Finance and Business Essentials for Medical Practices, TLB Publishing: Ellicott City, Maryland, August 2014
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Leveraging People for a Corporate Turnaround. Chinese Edition, The Commercial Press, Beijing, China, August 2012
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Institutions
- Global Immersion: Finance in Europe
- Fixed Income
- Advanced Portfolio Management
Honors and distinctions
- Ph.D. Innovation Initiative Award, Johns Hopkins University Office of the Vice-Provost for Graduate and Professional Education, March 6, 2020
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2019, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School, August 6, 2019
- Clinical Fellows Council Award of Appreciation, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2019
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2018, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School, August 6, 2018
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2017, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School, August 14, 2017
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2016, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School, August 12, 2016
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2015, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School, May 20, 2015
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2015, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School, August 20, 2015
- Executive Committee member, National Capitol Chapter, Society of Physician Entrepreneurs (2013-2014)
- Qualified for Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do (2011)
- Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellowship (1995)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (1993)
Impact and engagement
- Member of Investment Committee, Chestnut Street Ventures
- Founder, Pillars of Wealth personal financial literacy initiative for doctors. This initiative aims to provide unbiased education to medical professionals. It provides knowledge grounded in science, countering potentially misleading information provided by finance industry salespeople. The initiative's objective is to empower doctors to make better financial decisions for themselves and their families, either by reducing reliance on financial advisors or by increasing the productivity of interactions with financial advisors.
Dr. Bar-Or's work aims to encourage provision of unbiased personal financial literacy education for medical professionals such as physicians and dentists.
Dr. Bar-Or provides financial literacy education to medical students, residents, fellows, nurses, public health students, PhD students, etc., throughout the Johns Hopkins system and beyond.
In the Media
- “Managing Your Personal Finances During the Covid-19 Crisis” (August 17, 2020) Johns Hopkins University The HUB, interview by Pat Ercolano
- “Stay the Course with Personal Finances during Pandemic, Carey Expert Advises” (August 14, 2020) Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Expert series: COVID-19: Business and Economic Impact
- “It’s National Financial Awareness Day. How’s your money game?” (August 14, 2020) Los Angeles Times, David Lazarus
- “Personal Finance Advice for Healthcare Providers” (July 27, 2020) American Urological Association (AUA) Inside Tract Podcast hosted by Casey Callanan (Episode 133)
- “Financial Basics for Medical Professionals” (April 3, 2020) hosted by Dr. Kimberly Skarupski, Faculty Factory Podcast (episode 64)
- “Importance of a Financial Plan” (Feb. 17, 2020) Dentistry Rising Podcast, hosted by California-based dental podcaster Dr. Bette Robin, (episode 72)
- “By the Numbers: Pension Headache” (Fall 2019) Carey Business Magazine.
- “Doctors in Debt” (Fall 2018) Carey Business Magazine.
- “Young surgeons face high debt, financial instability” (June 11, 2018) Reuters, Carolyn Crist
- “Laureate IPO still pending amid political flap, industry crackdown” (October 8, 2016) Baltimore Sun, John Fritze and Natalie Sherman
- “2016’s Best Cities to Flip Houses,” (August 2, 2016) WalletHub.com, Richie Bernardo
- “What is Risk Culture and How Does a Leader Shape It?” (June 27, 2016) Sweet Fish Media, James Carbary
- “Baltimore company stocks are mixed amid market turmoil in January.” (January 29, 2016) Baltimore Sun, Carrie Wells
- “Legg Mason buys stakes in 3 financial management companies.” (January 22, 2016) Baltimore Sun, Carrie Wells
- “Index Funds Gain in Popularity” (July 11, 2015), Baltimore Sun, Carrie Wells.
- Moving Forward podcast on Financial Literacy Skills for Medical Professionals (July 1, 2015), VueAvant.com and Stitcher Radio, John Lim, https://www.bemovingforward.com/
- “How Renters Can Build Long-Term Wealth, Too” (June 11, 2015) US News & World Report, Joanne Cleaver. Also appears in Yahoo News.