Dr. Bar-Or is an award-winning professor and founder of the Pillars of Wealth personal finance literacy initiative for medical professionals. He is an Associate Professor at Johns Hopkins University’s Carey Business School and serves as the academic director of the Flex MBA and Dual-Degree programs.
Dr. Bar-Or is the author of several books and a former business executive with global managerial experience. He has lectured extensively in academic, government, and corporate settings and has been quoted in various media including The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Reuters, USA Today, The Baltimore Sun, Hopkins Medicine Magazine, Consumers Digest, US News & World Report, among others. As an unbiased expert in physician financial literacy, he is a sought-after speaker at physician wellness conferences and private events.
As a Canadian college student, Dr. Bar-Or was a member of the varsity wrestling and rugby teams, and prior to that a provincially ranked gymnast.
- Ph. D, Finance, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- MA, Finance, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- MA, Non-Fiction Writing, Johns Hopkins University
- MA, Economics, McMaster University
- BA, Economics, McMaster University
- BEng, Engineering, McMaster University
- Bar-Or Yuval, “Unbiased education in personal finance should start early in a doctor’s training,” Hopkins Medicine Magazine, Winter 2019.
- Bar-Or Yuval, Fessler H E, Desai D A, Zakaria S “Implementation of a Comprehensive Curriculum in Personal Finance for Medical Fellows.” Cureus 10(1): e2013. DOI 10.7759/cureus.2013, January 01, 2018
- Bar-Or, Yuval “Human Considerations in Turnaround Management: A Practitioner’s View” in Turnaround Management and Bankruptcy, Routledge Advances in Management and Business Studies (Book 69). Edited by Jan Adriaanse, Jean-Pierre van der Rest. Routledge, March 2017
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Pillars of Wealth: Personal Finance Essentials for Medical Professionals, Revised Edition. TLB Publishing: Ellicott City, Maryland, January 2017
- Bar-Or, Yuval “Relying on People to Compete with Corporate Dental Practices” (October/November, 2015) Progressive Dentist Magazine.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Empowering Physicians with Financial Literacy” (July/August issue, 2015) Journal of Medical Practice Management, 46-49.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Understanding Uncertainty and Common Risk Management Challenges” (March/April 2015) Investments & Wealth Monitor, 29-32.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Pillars of Wealth: Finance and Business Essentials for Medical Practices, TLB Publishing: Ellicott City, Maryland, August 2014
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Institutions
- Global Immersion: Finance in Europe
- Fixed Income
- Advanced Portfolio Management
Honors and distinctions
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2016, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence 2015, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2015, Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School
- University of Pennsylvania Dean’s Fellowship of Distinguished Merit (1996)
- Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellowship (1995)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (1993)
Impact and engagement
- Member of Investment Committee, Chestnut Street Ventures
- Founder, Pillars of Wealth Financial
Dr. Bar-Or's work aims to encourage provision of unbiased personal financial literacy education for medical professionals such as physicians and dentists.
Dr. Bar-Or provides financial literacy education to medical students, residents, fellows, nurses, public health students, PhD students, etc., throughout the Johns Hopkins system and beyond.
In the Media
- “Doctors in Debt” (Fall 2018) Carey Business Magazine.
- “Young surgeons face high debt, financial instability” (June 11, 2018) Reuters, Carolyn Crist.
- “Laureate IPO still pending amid political flap, industry crackdown” (October 8, 2016) Baltimore Sun, John Fritze and Natalie Sherman.
- “2016’s Best Cities to Flip Houses,” (August 2, 2016) WalletHub.com, Richie Bernardo.
- “What is Risk Culture and How Does a Leader Shape It?” (June 27, 2016) Sweet Fish Media, James Carbary.
- “Baltimore company stocks are mixed amid market turmoil in January.” (January 29, 2016) Baltimore Sun, Carrie Wells.
- “Legg Mason buys stakes in 3 financial management companies.” (January 22, 2016) Baltimore Sun, Carrie Wells.
- “Index Funds Gain in Popularity” (July 11, 2015), Baltimore Sun, Carrie Wells.
- Moving Forward podcast on Financial Literacy Skills for Medical Professionals (July 1, 2015), VueAvant.com and Stitcher Radio, John Lim.
- “How Renters Can Build Long-Term Wealth, Too” (June 11, 2015) US News & World Report, Joanne Cleaver. Also appears in Yahoo News.