Dr. Jaana Myllyluoma is a social scientist with a diverse academic and professional portfolio that combines public health research, management experience, executive coaching, and teaching and training. Her teaching goal at the Carey Business School is to foster the development of ethical, innovative and effective business leaders with the skills to navigate today's complex economic, social, institutional, and leadership challenges. Her teaching philosophy embraces active learning both in her onsite and online courses, and applies experiential methods to bring classroom concepts alive and relevant in the practice of business. She collaborates with faculty at the JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health on a landmark cohort study on mental health and aging, utilizing her expertise from 25-years of experience in developing and directing complex primary data collection efforts. She is a certified professional coach and has a private practice in coaching executives and emerging leaders in for-profit and non-profit organizations.
- Ph. D, Demography/Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health
- MA, Demography, Georgetown University
- BA, Geography, George Mason University
- Assessment of Distress, Disorder, Impairment and Need in the Population. Co-author of Chapter 4 in Public Mental Health, Second edition, edited by William W. Eaton and M. Danielle Fallin. New York, Oxford University Press (2019).
- Development and Reliability Testing of a Food Store Observation Form. Co-author. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2013(45:6).
- Field validation of secondary commercial data sources on the retail food outlet environment in the U.S.. Co-author. Health & Place, 2011(17).
- Teaching Ethics: What’s Coaching Got to Do With It? Coaching World, International Coach Federation, May 2011.
- Predictors of Teens' Attitudes Toward Condoms: Gender Differences in the Effects of Norms. Co-author. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 2006(30:7).
- Assessing community-wide outcomes of prevention marketing campaigns through telephone surveys. Social Marketing Quarterly 2000.
- Coordinated Evaluation of State-wide Tobacco Control Efforts in the United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2003.
- Business Leadership and Human Values
- Innovation for Humanity: Rwanda
- Business Communication
Honors and distinctions
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence, Carey Business School, June 2019
- Certified Empowerment Practitioner, Empowerment Institute, June 2012
- CPCC, Certified Professional Coach, Co-Active Training Institute (CTI), September 2008
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, 1988
Impact and Engagement
- Board Member, TUBA - The Uganda-Baltimore Alliance, Baltimore, MD. (July 2015 - December 2019).
In the media
- #MeToo: A Work in Progress, Contributor to a Perspectives feature in Carey Business, Spring 2018.
- Bring on the Angels! Focus on Women Magazine. (January 2010).
- Graceful Aging: A Conversation with Downing Kay. Focus on Women Magazine. (November 2009).
- Lessons from My Blossom Garden. Focus on Women Magazine. (September 2009).
- The Courageous Act of Letting Go. Focus on Women Magazine. (July 2009).
- Going from Worry to Action: Shifting Perspective Amidst the Financial Crisis. Focus on Women Magazine. (March 2009).
- Integrity – Don’t Leave Home Without It. Focus on Women Magazine. (November 2008).
- Straight Talk About Workplace Morale. Focus on Women Magazine. (June 2008).
- Cultivating Inner Strength. Focus on Women Magazine. (March 2008).