Inside Look Into MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management
The MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management program equips managers to improve decision-making processes based on a rigorous treatment of data and information using the management of risk as the underlying guide and framework. This program is designed to teach ways to: quantify multiple dimensions of hard business problems; analyze the structure and data related to those problems; and to create rigorous approaches based on that analysis to respond to problems. In each setting the management of the risks inherent in the business serves as the motivation and guide for the analysis. Coursework provides exposure to a variety of analytical tools along with many areas of risk management and integrates the concepts to enable managers to make better decisions for themselves and their organizations.
The MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management degree provides graduates with the tools and knowledge to:
- Convert raw data into useful information;
- Use that information to understand complex decision settings;
- Create rigorous approaches to problem solving;
- Place decision making within the context of risk management;
- Protect shareholder value by managing the downside of risk;
- Position the organization to better leverage the upside of uncertain outcomes; and
- Improve decision making at all levels of the organization.
The MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management can be completed full-time at the Carey Business School's Washington, D.C. center.
Starting Fall 2019, our MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management full-time program will be a STEM-designated program, offering an Optional Practical Training (OPT) STEM Extension benefit that allows international students to apply to work and stay in the U.S. for an additional 24 months.
The full-time, 36-credit MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management degree program includes the following courses. Students should consult with their academic advisor as course sequence and availability may vary.
Descriptions for the following courses can be found in the JHU Student Information System Course Search.
The curriculum below is for students entering in the program in Fall 2019. Current students should refer to their handbook for their curricular requirements and course information.
Business Foundations (18 credits)
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.913.610 Business Analytics
- BU.120.601 Business Communication
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.231.620 Corporate Finance
- BU.350.620 Information Systems
- BU.410.620 Marketing Management
- BU.680.620 Operations Management
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
Functional Core (6 credits)
- BU.520.620 Advanced Business Analytics
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.610.625 Simulation and Strategic Options
Electives (12 credits)
Quantitative Electives (Students choose 2 courses, 4 credits)
- BU.520.710 Big Data Machine Learning
- BU.232.650 Continuous Time Finance
- BU.450.760 Customer Analytics
- BU.330.780 Data Science and Business Intelligence
- BU.520.650 Data Visualization
- BU.610.630 Pricing and Insuring Risk
- BU.450.740 Retail Analytics
General Electives (Students choose 4 courses, 8 credits)
- BU.132.601 Business Law
- BU.610.730 Contracting: Incentive Design and Analytics
- BU.231.720 Corporate Governance
- BU.610.705 Crisis Management
- BU.330.730 Cybersecurity
- BU.520.701 Enterprise Risk Management Frameworks
- BU.230.750 Financial Crises and Contagion
- BU.610.750 Global Supply Chain Management
- BU.300.620 Managing Complex Projects
- BU.230.730 Managing Financial Risk
For Academic Year 2019-2020
|tuition||application fee||matriculation fee||registration per semester||graduation fee|
*cost reflective of entire 12-month program
All fees are nonrefundable.
- Late Registration Fee: $250
- Late Payment Fee: $250
- Returned Check Fee: $35
- Payment Plan Termination Fee: $75
- Delinquent Account Collection Fee: 25% of the outstanding debt
Discover all you need to get started with your Carey application. Visit our How to Apply page to learn more about the process, requirements, and more.
- Official transcripts from all U.S. schools must be sent electronically. All U.S. transcripts must be from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Please visit your school’s website to request an official transcript and be sent electronically to email@example.com Please note that transcripts are required from all schools where 15 or more transfer credits were earned. Final transcripts must show the degrees you have earned. An admission decision may be delayed if you do not send transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
- o If your school does not participate in an electronic transcript submission system, send official sealed transcripts to the address below:
- Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
Office of Admissions
100 International Drive
Baltimore, MD 21202
- Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
- 2 Essays
- One letter of recommendation
- GMAT/GRE scores - requirement varies by program.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for non-native English speakers. A waiver request form can be found on the online application.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-234-9220.
|Round 1||Round 2||round 3|
|Application Deadline||October 31, 2018||January 9, 2019||April 3, 2019|
|Carey Decision Date||December 18, 2018||March 5, 2019||May 2, 2019|
|Deposit Deadline||January 16, 2019||March 28, 2019||May 23, 2019|
Find more information about our program deadlines.
Our Career Development team is committed to providing opportunities for you to build professional skills and competencies that are essential for success in the career search.
Graduates of the MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management have gone on to start or advance their careers in operations and logistics. Employers have included:
- General Motors
- International Monetary Fund
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Proctor & Gamble
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC)
- U.S. Department of Defense
The most recent MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management career data is available here.
#Of Students: 60
Avg GMAT: 684
Countries Represented: 4