Build quantitative skills
Equips students with the quantitative and leadership skills to analyze data, implement change, and impact the long-term sustainability of businesses around the world.
GMAT/GRE waivers and merit scholarships available
GMAT/GRE waivers and merit scholarships are available for those with strong academic credentials.
Prepare for CFA exams
Provides a significant portion of the curriculum devoted to the CFA Institute’s Candidate Body of Knowledge, preparing students to sit for the CFA exams.
Learn from world-class faculty
Features online courses taught by the same world-class faculty who develop the curriculum and course content, as well as features both synchronous (real-time) and asynchronous (anytime) learning activities.
Learn about your class profile*
- 540 average GMAT score
- 3.27 average undergraduate GPA
- 36 percent female / 64 percent male
- 12.67 average years of full-time work experience
- 86 percent of students from U.S.
*Fall 2019 incoming class
The student handbook provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures.
The 2021 edition of the Carey Business School University Catalog is available.
download fact sheet
Master of Science in Finance students gain the technical skills to create innovative solutions in all aspects of management and finance. The part-time, 36 credit program is designed for working professionals advancing in their careers and is offered at the Carey Business School’s Baltimore and Washington, D.C. campuses. Part-time students may also choose to take online classes, which feature mostly asynchronous learning activities with a few recommended or required synchronous (real-time) activities. Students select a preferred mode of study upon application. Students should review the technical requirements for online courses before applying.
Required courses (24 credits):
**Indicates electives are available on-site only
Business Foundations (16 credits)
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.120.601 Business Communication*
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.231.620 Corporate Finance
- BU.220.620 Economics for Decision Making
- BU.232.701 Investments
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
- BU.220.610 The Firm and the Macroeconomy
*Online sections of business communication require students to attend an in-person residency at the Baltimore campus in order to complete the 8-week course.
Functional Core (8 credits)
- BU.232.710 Derivatives
- BU.231.710 Financial Institutions
- BU.230.620 Financial Modeling and Valuation
- BU.232.720 Fixed Income
Electives (12 credits):
Students choose six courses from the following:
- BU.231.790 Advanced Corporate Finance
- BU.210.650 Advanced Financial Accounting
- BU.232.790 Advanced Hedge Fund Strategies**
- BU.232.750 Advanced Portfolio Management
- BU.520.710 Big Data Machine Learning
- BU.231.720 Corporate Governance
- BU.210.680 Cost Measurement and Control
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.232.725 Emerging Markets
- BU.233.730 Entrepreneurial Finance
- BU.230.750 Financial Crises and Contagion
- BU.230.730 Managing Financial Risk
- BU.231.740 Mergers and Acquisitions
- BU.232.730 Wealth Management
Go beyond the classroom
Your business education doesn’t end in the classroom. Step out of your comfort zone as you partner with students across Johns Hopkins and businesses to put your classroom learning to the test.
Download career data
The career development team is committed to providing opportunities for you to build professional skills and competencies that are essential for a successful career search.
Students in this program aspire to a variety of careers in the finance industry such as investment banking, financial analysis and advising, quantitative analysis, portfolio management and trading in commercial banking and investment banking, investment management firms, hedge funds, private equity and venture capital firms and international organizations. These are just some of the areas in the financial industry where you can find and connect with Carey alumni in the Baltimore region, around the U.S., and across the globe.
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Shah Management
- Thompson Gray, Inc.
- U.S. Department of the Navy
- Budget Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Transaction Manager
- Investment Manager