Build quantitative skills
Equips students with the quantitative and leadership skills to analyze data, implement change, and impact the long-term sustainability of businesses around the world.
Advance your career
Empowers working professionals to hone the skills they need to advance quickly in their careers within a flexible format.
Prepare for CFA exams
Provides a significant portion of the curriculum devoted to the CFA Institute’s Candidate Body of Knowledge, preparing students to sit for the CFA exams.
Learn from world-class faculty
Features online courses taught by the same world-class faculty who develop the curriculum and course content, as well as features both synchronous (real-time) and asynchronous (anytime) learning activities.
Join us at the Baltimore campus to hear from admissions, career development, faculty members, and more. Join fellow MS candidates and see what Carey Business School and graduate business education has to offer.
- 3.21 average undergraduate GPA
- 31 percent female / 69 percent male
- 11.3 average years of full-time work experience
- 94 percent of students from the U.S.
Footnote: Fall 2018 incoming class
The student handbook provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures.
Find detailed descriptions for the courses offered during the 2019-2020 school year.
download fact sheet
Master of Science in Finance students gain the technical skills to create innovative solutions in all aspects of management and finance. The part-time, 36 credit program is designed for working professionals advancing in their careers and is offered at the Carey Business School’s Baltimore and Washington, D.C. campuses. Part-time students may also choose to take online classes, which feature mostly asynchronous learning activities with a few recommended or required synchronous (real-time) activities. Students select a preferred mode of study upon application. Students should review the technical requirements for online courses before applying.
Required courses (24 credits):
Business Foundations (16 credits)
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.120.601 Business Communication*
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.231.620 Corporate Finance
- BU.220.620 Economics for Decision Making
- BU.232.701 Investments
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
- BU.220.610 The Firm and the Macroeconomy
*Online sections of business communication require students to attend an in-person residency at the Baltimore campus in order to complete the 8-week course.
Functional Core (8 credits)
- BU.232.710 Derivatives
- BU.231.710 Financial Institutions
- BU.230.620 Financial Modeling and Valuation
- BU.232.720 Fixed Income
Electives (12 credits):
Students choose six courses from the following:
- BU.231.790 Advanced Corporate Finance
- BU.210.650 Advanced Financial Accounting
- BU.232.790 Advanced Hedge Fund Strategies**
- BU.232.750 Advanced Portfolio Management
- BU.520.710 Big Data Machine Learning**
- BU.232.650 Continuous Time Finance**
- BU.231.720 Corporate Governance
- BU.210.680 Cost Measurement and Control**
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.232.725 Emerging Markets
- BU.233.730 Entrepreneurial Finance
- BU.230.750 Financial Crises and Contagion
- BU.220.720 Financial Econometrics**
- BU.230.730 Managing Financial Risk
- BU.231.740 Mergers and Acquisitions
- BU.230.710 Quantitative Financial Analysis
- BU.232.730 Wealth Management
**Indicates electives are available on-site only
Download career data
The career development team is committed to providing opportunities for you to build professional skills and competencies that are essential for a successful career search.
Students in this program aspire to a variety of careers in the finance industry such as investment banking, financial analysis and advising, quantitative analysis, portfolio management and trading in commercial banking and investment banking, investment management firms, hedge funds, private equity and venture capital firms and international organizations. These are just some of the areas in the financial industry where you can find and connect with Carey alumni in the Baltimore region, around the U.S., and across the globe.
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Shah Management
- Thompson Gray, Inc.
- U.S. Department of the Navy
- Budget Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Transaction Manager
- Investment Manager
Student and faculty spotlight
At A Glance
Tuition & Fees
There are numerous options for financing your education including scholarships, loans, and payment plans available to those who qualify. Learn more.