Veteran Students FAQ

Veteran student frequently asked questions

What is the private school VA tuition cap for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefit?

Tuition and fees are covered up to $27,120.05 per VA benefit year (August 2023 – July 2024) utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. You may contact the Veteran Affairs office at

What is the book allowance stipend?

The annual maximum is up to $1,000 per academic year. The stipend is paid directly to the student by the VA in accordance with the number of credits.

Can Military Tuition Assistance be utilized at Carey Business School?

Yes. Please submit your TA request under Third Party Payer from your billing tab in SIS. If using TA and VA benefits, the Tuition Assistance will be deducted from the tuition submitted to the VA.

Is Johns Hopkins University a partner school with the Maryland National Guard?

Yes. Please view the Military Star Announcement 2021.

Maryland Army National Guard State Tuition Waiver (STW) and State Tuition Assistance Reimbursement (STAR) Programs Maryland National Guard members enrolled in an undergraduate program at Johns Hopkins University are eligible to receive a 50 percent reduction in tuition (up to 6 credits) regardless of class size, location and number of semester hours the student is taking. This discount may not be applied with any other scholarship or discount. State Tuition Assistance Reimbursement (STAR) reimburses Maryland National Guard Service Members (SM) up to 100% of tuition and related fees, and is open to all Johns Hopkins University graduate and undergraduate students. Funding is capped at $8,500 per student per year, and subject to the availability of State funds. Students must apply for both programs at least 10 days in advance of the start of class using the MDARNG app and email. If approved, the Maryland National Guard will notify Hopkins of your eligibility. Application (pdf).

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). For more information see the GI Bill Trademark terms of use.

Reach out to our school certifying official with any questions.