Inside Look Into MBA/MA in Design Leadership
Smarter business by design
Today’s greatest business challenges require visionaries with the courage to look beyond the surface for answers. In the Design Leadership MA/MBA, you’ll master creative approaches to strategic decision-making while also learning how to apply these skills to complex management challenges and business opportunities. Earn two degrees from two world-renowned institutions at the same time for less money and in less time—a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Johns Hopkins University and a Master of Art (MA) from the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA).
The Design Leadership MA/MBA is the only program in the United States where students earn simultaneous graduate degrees from a business school at a major research university and a premier college of art and design, both of which are recognized globally among the most innovative institutions.
Creativity bridges big ideas and the balance sheet
Students in the Design Leadership MA/MBA program are open-minded creative thinkers. They aspire to be transformative leaders at the highest levels, leveraging a next-generation approach to research analysis, management, and problem-solving. A strength of the program is the diversity of backgrounds that comprises each cohort. Students come from business management, marketing, engineering, finance, art and design, architecture, fine arts, and other fields.
In 20-24 months, you’ll earn an MBA and an MA in Design Leadership through a program designed to grow valuable new skills in an accelerated format. This program begins with a MICA-run, three-credit summer intensive called Foundations of Design Leadership. In the fall, students enroll in classes available through JHU Carey Business School’s part-time MBA program and in MICA's MA in Design Leadership curriculum.
Studying with a cohort of peers, you’ll learn through hands-on experiences that immerse you in real-world situations. And you’ll emerge from the program with expertise in strategy formulation, audience targeting, research, and design thinking that’s driven by a collaborative and creative approach to problem-solving.
For Academic Year 2019-2020
|Tuition||Application FEE||Matriculation Fee||Registration Per Semester||Graduation Fee|
(for entire 20-month program)
All fees are nonrefundable.
- Late Registration Fee: $250
- Late Payment Fee: $250
- Returned Check Fee: $35
- Payment Plan Termination Fee: $75
- Delinquent Account Collection Fee: 25% of the outstanding debt
Discover all you need to get started with your Carey application. Visit our How to Apply page to learn more about the process, requirements, and more.
- o Official transcripts from all U.S. schools must be sent electronically. All U.S. transcripts must be from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Please visit your school’s website to request an official transcript and be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that transcripts are required from all schools where 15 or more transfer credits were earned. Final transcripts must show the degrees you have earned. An admission decision may be delayed if you do not send transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
- If your school does not participate in an electronic transcript submission system, send official sealed transcripts to the address below:
- Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Office of Admissions 100 International Drive Baltimore, MD 21202
- 2 Essays
- One letter of recommendation
- GMAT/GRE scores - waiver available for qualified candidates.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for non-native English speakers. A waiver request form can be found on the online application.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or 410-234-9220.
|Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4|
|Application Deadline||November 7, 2018||January 23, 2019||April 10, 2019||May 1, 2019|
|Carey Decicsion Date||December 11, 2018||March 12, 2019||May 7, 2018||May 16, 2019|
|Deposit Deadline||January 8, 2019||April 9, 2019||May 29, 2019||June 4, 2019|
Students in this program have the unique benefit of having the support of two Career Development offices: Carey and MICA. Both teams are committed to building your professional skills and competencies that will aid you in your career search.
Design Leadership MA/MBA students go on to lead successful, fascinating jobs in a variety of industries. Here is a sampling of some of the employers who have hired graduates of this program:
- Deloitte Consulting
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- IA Collaborative
- Johns Hopkins Applied
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Johns Hopkins University
- JP Morgan Chase
- Maga Design, Inc.
- Maga Design, Inc.
- Market Gravity (Deloitte)
- Marriott International
- T. Rowe Price
- United States Patent and
- United States Postal Service
- Weight Watchers
#Of Students: 9
Avg GMAT: 590
Countries Represented: 3
For three intrepid teams of MBA/MA in Design Leadership students, the challenge was too good to pass up. As the first-ever Johns Hopkins Carey Business School and MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art) entrants in the prestigious Rotman Business School Design Challenge (RDC), held annually at the University of Toronto, the task was great, but so, ultimately, would be the reward.