Louise L. Schiavone is a member of the full‐time faculty and Senior Lecturer at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. Schiavone teaches “Business Communication” and “Business Leadership and Human Values” to graduate level students at the Baltimore and Washington D.C. campuses. She has received the Dean's Award for Faculty Excellence as well as research grants for environmentally focused work. A career journalist, and TEDx speaker, Schiavone was educated at Columbia University in New York City, where she earned an MS in Journalism. She has covered Congress, the White House, as well as news at the Pentagon, Treasury, State, Transportation, Energy, and Housing Departments, as well as national presidential campaigns, the mortgage meltdown and financial crisis, food safety challenges, and natural disasters. An on-air veteran of CNN, ABC News, and the Associated Press, Schiavone is currently a newscast anchor at NPR and the SiriusXM “P.O.T.U.S.” Channel. She also writes for print media, with work appearing in The Los Angeles Review of Books in September of 2019, and in National Geographic. Schiavone speaks extensively about politics, journalism, communication, civility, and the environment. Schiavone is currently co-producing a video documentary about marine life biodiversity in the Scottish Highlands, and the role of the oyster in raising the quality of the marine environment around the world.
- MS, Journalism, Graduate School of Journalism - Columbia University
- BA, U.S. and European History, Emmanuel College
- Schiavone, L. L. (2016). Scotch Whisky's Future May Lie in Restoration.National Geographic.
- Schiavone, L. L. (2016). Building Better Policy. Mortgage Banking Magazine.
- Schiavone, L. (2015). Failure to Re-Fi: Reasons and Costs. Washington, DC:Mortgage Banking Magazine.
- Schiavone, L. L. (2014). A dram of Corporate Social Responsibility in Scotland's Signature Industry. Baltimore, MD:One Magazine.
- Schiavone, L. (2014). In (Eds.), The Debut of HUD Secretary Julian Castro. Washington, DC:Mortgage Banking Magazine.
- Schiavone, L. L. (2014). Remembering The Day James Brady Was Shot. Washington, DC:The Two-Way National Public Radio blogs.
- Schiavone, L. (2013). Six Degrees of Separation in 21st Century Journalism. Washington, DC:Zonta.
- Schiavone, L. L. In (Eds.), Degrees of Indebtedness. Washington, DC: Mortgage Banking Magazine.
- Business Leadership and Human Values
- Business Communication
Honors and distinctions
- Dean's Award for Faculty Excellence, Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. (August 30, 2017).
- Edward R. Murrow Award, ABC Radio Network. (2008).
- Peabody Award, CNN. (2008).
- Emmy Award nomination, CNN. (2005).
- St. Julie Award for Outstanding Achievement, Central Catholic High School, Lawrence, Massachusetts. (2005).
- Graduation Commencement Speaker, Emmanuel College, Boston, Massachusetts. (1996).