Shaker Eid, MD MBA
|Academic Area||Management & Organization|
Dr. Eid is currently an Associate Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and adjunct faculty at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. Dr. Eid also holds a certification in Lean-Sigma for Healthcare from the Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality. He is the Director of Research and Innovation for the Division of Hospital Medicine at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Campus. He is the immediate past Chair of the Society of Hospital Medicine national Research Committee.
Dr. Eid’s research focuses on quality improvement, patient centered outcomes research, and application of Lean-Sigma concepts in healthcare.
- MD, American University of Beirut
- MBA, Healthcare Services Management, Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
- Linker AS, Kulkarni SA, Astik GJ, Keniston A, Sakumoto M, Eid SM, Burden M, Leykum LK; HOMERuN COVID-19 Collaborative Working Group. Bracing for the Wave: a Multi-Institutional Survey Analysis of Inpatient Workforce Adaptations in the First Phase of COVID-19. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 May 28:1-6
- Liang H, Tao L, Ford EW, Beydoun MA, Eid SM. The Patient-centered Oncology Care on Health Care Utilization and Cost: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Health Care Manage Rev. 2020 Oct/Dec;45(4): 364-376.
- Harrison JD, Archuleta M, Avitia E, Banta J, Benn J, Burden M, Chopra V, Coker R, Eid SM, Fang MC, Fletcher K, Hagan J, Jaranilla J, Mullick M, Nyenpan C, Silva L, Wurst M, Ziegler G, Leykum L. Developing a Patient- and Family-Centered Research Agenda for Hospital Medicine: The Improving Hospital Outcomes through Patient Engagement (i-HOPE) Study. J Hosp Med. 2020 June;15(6):331-337.
- Liang H, Beydoun MA, Eid SM. Health Needs, Utilization of Services and Access to Care among Medicaid and Uninsured Patients with Chronic Disease in Health Centers. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2019 Jul;24(3):172-181.
- Eid SM, Ponor L, Reed DA, Beydoun MA, Beydoun HA, Wright SM. Associations Between In-Hospital Mortality, Health Care Utilization, and Inpatient Costs With the 2011 Resident Duty Hour Revision. J Grad Med Educ. 2019;11(2):146-155.
- Johnson AE, Winner L, Simmons T, Eid SM, Hody R, Sampedro A, Augustine S, Sylvester C, Parakh K. Using Innovative Methodologies from Technology and Manufacturing Companies to Reduce Heart Failure Readmissions. Am J Med Qual. 2016;31(3):272-278.
- Click here for a more detailed list of Dr. Eid’s publications
- Health Care Organization and Management
Honors and distinctions
- Core Faculty (By Invitation), The Hopkins Business of Health Initiative (HBHI) (2021 - present)
- Certified Physician Executive, American Association of Physician Leadership (2020)
- Co-Chair, Bayview Education Academic and Research (BEAR) Core Division of Hospital Medicine, JHBMC (2020 - present)
- Chair, Research Committee, Society of Hospital Medicine (2018 - 2020)
- Senior Fellow of Hospital Medicine, Society of Hospital Medicine (2016)
- American Heart Association RESS Young Investigator Award (2013)
- Scott Wright Award for Excellence in Research, Division of Hospital Medicine, JHBMC (2011)