Steven D. Cohen, PhD
|Academic Area||Business Communication|
|Academic Area||Management & Organization|
|Areas of Interest||Leadership Development, Persuasive Communication, Public Speaking, Workplace Presentations|
Steven D. Cohen is a Professor at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. He is well known for helping leaders communicate with confidence, influence, and authority. Dr. Cohen has been quoted in media outlets such as the Financial Times, Forbes, Slate, Vanity Fair, New York Magazine, and NBC News. He also was featured in the BBC Radio documentary, “Churchill’s Secret Cabinet.”
Dr. Cohen’s work examines the communication behaviors of effective leaders, with a particular focus on executive presence. His research has appeared in national and international publications, including College Teaching, Communication Teacher, The International Journal of Listening, and Toastmaster magazine. Dr. Cohen is the author of two books, Public Speaking: The Path to Success and Lessons from the Podium: Public Speaking as a Leadership Art. He is also the editor of Speaking for Success: Readings and Resources, a collection of essential articles on the art of public speaking.
Dr. Cohen frequently teaches Executive Education courses on public speaking, persuasive communication, and business writing. He has created custom courses and leadership development programs for Fortune 500 companies and government agencies. Dr. Cohen is a core faculty member for the Executive Certificate in Business Communication and previously served as the Academic Program Director for Executive Education.
Before his academic career, Dr. Cohen spent several years working in the private sector. He was an assistant vice president and team leader at Bank of America and later became a senior strategy consultant at IBM Global Business Services. In addition, Dr. Cohen was the founder and chairman of Friends for Life of America, a national nonprofit organization that improves the quality of life for pediatric cancer patients and their families.
- PhD, Communication, University of Maryland
- MPP, Harvard University
- BA, Business Administration, University of Florida
- Cohen, S. D. & Rubin, D. (2020, October). Supercharging your storytelling and sales. Toastmaster, 86(10), 28–29.
- Cohen, S. D. (2020). Public speaking: The path to success (2nd ed.). San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Cohen, S. D. (Ed.). (2018). Speaking for success: Readings and resources (2nd ed.). San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Fontana, P. C., Cohen, S. D., & Wolvin, A. D. (2015). Understanding listening competency: A systematic review of research scales. International Journal of Listening, 29, 148–176.
- Cohen, S. D. (2014). The digital communication journal: Building an online COMMunity for student dialogue. In J. E. Aitken (Ed.), Cases on communication technology for second language acquisition and cultural learning (pp. 1–4). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Cohen, S. D. (2014, November). It’s all about the audience: Earn your listeners’ appreciation by making your speech about them. Toastmaster, 80(11), 20–21.
- Cohen, S. D. (2011). The art of public narrative: Teaching students how to construct memorable anecdotes. Communication Teacher, 25, 197–204.
- Cohen, S. D. (2011, September). A view from the balcony: Step back and see how your audience is observing you. Toastmaster, 77(9), 22–23.
- Cohen, S. D., & Wei, T. E. (2010). Transmitting musical images: Using classical music to teach public speaking. Communication Teacher, 24, 115–121.
- Business Communication
- Effective Communication
Executive Education Courses
- Business Writing
- Effective Workplace Presentations
- Persuasive Communication
- Powerful Public Speaking
- Mastering the Art of Public Speaking
Honors and distinctions
- Dean's Award for Faculty Excellence, Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, 2018-2022
- Faculty Service and Mentorship Award, Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, 2019
- Teaching Innovation Fund Award, Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, 2018
- The National Society of Leadership and Success Excellence in Teaching Award, 2016
- First Place, Redwood Toastmasters Speech Evaluation Contest, 2015
- Dean’s Commendation for Distinguished Teaching, Harvard Extension School, 2014
- International Listening Association Top Research Paper, 2013
- Teaching with New(er) Technologies Fellow, University of Maryland Center for Teaching Excellence, 2013
- Opening Plenary Session Speaker, Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching, 2012
- Department of Communication Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Maryland, 2011
- First Place, New Scholars Category, University of Maryland Graduate Research Interaction Day, 2011
In the media
- Law Firms Risk Reputational Damage Through Silence and Equivocation on Vaccine Mandates (2021) The American Lawyer
- Stop Scripting Your Speeches (2021) Harvard Business Review
- What Boeing Has To Do To Woo Back Terrified Consumers (2020) Forbes
- View of an Expert: Both Candidates Showed Qualities (2020) The Nikkei
- Trump’s COVID-19 Diagnosis Casts Urgent New Light on Pence, Harris Undercard Debate (2020) Toronto Star
- In Leaders’ UN Videos, the Backgrounds Tell Stories, Too (2020) The Associated Press
- Pokémon’s ‘MastersEX’ Hashtag Turns Bawdy in Latest Twitter Marketing Failure (2020) Forbes
- How the Debate Clock Beat Joe Biden (2019) Vanity Fair
- Guidelines for Overcoming Public Speaking Panic (2018) ¡Hola!
- Why We Say 'Umm' (and How to Avoid It) (2018) NBC News
- Want to Be a Brilliant Public Speaker? Take a Cue From One of President Obama's Quirks (2017) Inc.
- How to Say ‘Um’ and ‘Like’ and Also Sound Smart (2016) New York Magazine
- Can’t Quit Saying ‘Um’ and ‘Ah’? Just Learn How to Use Them Better (2016) Quartz
- 18 Things to Say to Ruin a Good First Impression (2016) Inc.
- The Secret to Stopping Your ‘Ummms’ (2016) BBC News
- Listen: How to Trump Trump and Make America Greater Than Ever (2016) HuffPost
- On Body Language: Why Is Ben Carson Connecting with Voters and Martin O’Malley Isn't? (2015) Baltimore Magazine
- Speak Up (2015) Slate
- Churchill's Secret Cabinet (2013) BBC Radio 4
- Commencement Speakers Strive to Inspire, Entertain (2013) The Baltimore Sun
- The Subtle Secrets of Charisma (2013) Financial Times