Lasse Mertins is Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. He works with faculty and staff on scheduling and coordinating courses, recruiting part-time faculty, and enhancing support of teaching and research.
Mertins joined the Carey Business School in 2014. Before his academic career, Mertins worked as a management accountant in the food industry.
Mertins is a graduate of Virginia Tech where he earned a doctorate in accounting. He is a Certified Management Accountant (CMA) with expertise in the areas of financial statement analysis, managerial accounting and performance assessments. His research has been published in many scholarly journals including the Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Management Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting Literature, Advances in Accounting, and Issues in Accounting Education.
- Ph. D, Business, Virginia Tech
- MS, Accounting and Information Systems, Virginia Tech
- BA, Business, Leibniz-Akadmie Hannover
- Goedker, K., and L. Mertins (2018). CSR Disclosure and Investor Behavior: A Proposed Framework and Research Agenda. Behavioral Research in Accounting, 30(2), 37-53.
- Long, J. H., L. Mertins, L., B. Vansant, B., and D. Searcy (2018). Toomer’s Energy Drinks: Fueling Earnings Management? Issues in Accounting Education, 33(1), 29-43.
- Bento, R., L. Mertins, and L. White. (2017). Ideology and the Balanced Scorecard: An Empirical Exploration of the Tension Between Shareholder Value Maximization And Corporate Social Responsibility. Journal of Business Ethics, 142(4): 769-789.
- Mertins, L. and L. White. (2016). Presentation Formats, Performance Outcomes and Implications for Performance Evaluations. Advances in Management Accounting, 26: 1-34.
- Long, J., L. Mertins, and B. Vansant (2015). The Effects of Firm-Provided Measure Weightings on Evaluators' Incorporation of Non-Contractible Information. Journal of Management Accounting Research, 27(1): 47-62.
- Mertins, L. and L.White (2014). The Impact of Production Variance Presentation Format on Employees’ Decision Making. Advances in Management Accounting, 23: 149-179.
- Mertins, L., D. Salbador, and J. Long (2013). The Outcome Effect - A Review and Implications for Future Research. Journal of Accounting Literature, 31 (1): 2-30.
- Long, J., L. Mertins, and D. Searcy. (2013). IRCS: Valuing Ethics at the Expense of Inventory. Issues in Accounting Education, 28 (1): 153-172.
- Advanced Financial Accounting
- Global Immersion: Finance in Europe
- Accounting and Financial Reporting
Honors and Distinctions
- Editorial Board Member: Issues in Accounting Education
- Editorial Board Member: Advances in Management Accounting
- Mid-Atlantic Coordinator (American Accounting Association’s ABO Section)
- 2015 Black & Decker Research Grant
- AAA 2016 Midyear Meeting Outstanding Case Award of the Management Accounting Section (with James Long, DeWayne Searcy and Brian Vansant)