Build quantitative and leadership skills
Equips students with the tools and knowledge to analyze information in ways that improve decision making in business settings
Lead through uncertainty
Empowers students with an understanding of the science and art of risk management which prepares them to lead in volatile environments
Harness business analytics
Uses risk management as an underlying framework to guide the use of business analytics to quantify multiple dimensions of business problems, uncover potential approaches, and create and implement business solutions.
Notes a STEM-designation, offering an Optional Practical Training STEM Extension benefit
Join us at the Baltimore campus to hear from admissions, career development, faculty members, and more. Join fellow MS candidates and see what Carey Business School and graduate business education has to offer.
Learn about our class profile.
- 684 average GMAT score
- 3.48 average undergraduate GPA
- 62 percent female / 38 percent male
- 1.5 average years of full-time work experience
- 5 percent of students from the U.S.
Footnote: Fall 2018 incoming class
For more than 140 years, the Johns Hopkins University's research and work has helped society navigate uncertain times. This legacy underpins the Master of Science in Business Analytics and Risk Management as students use cutting-edge analytic tools to study risk from multiple perspectives.
The student handbook provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures.
Find detailed descriptions for the courses offered during the 2019-2020 academic year.
Download fact sheet
All business opportunities face risk and businesses don't always understand the full implications of the risks they've incurred. That's why modern, interconnected global businesses needs leaders like you – leaders who ask the right questions, have the courage to make difficult decisions, and demonstrate the ability to protect more than the bottom line.
The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School designed the STEM-designated full-time Master of Science in Business Analytics and Risk Management program to train business leaders to navigate risk and uncertainty. Our curriculum empowers you to respond and prepare for risk-related threats and uncertainties through data analytics and scenario planning.
Required courses (24 credits):
Business Foundations (18 credits)
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.520.601 Business Analytics
- BU.120.601 Business Communication
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.231.620 Corporate Finance
- BU.350.620 Information Systems
- BU.410.620 Marketing Management
- BU.680.620 Operations Management
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
Functional Core (6 credits)
- BU.520.620 Advanced Business Analytics
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.610.625 Simulation and Strategic Options
Electives (12 credits):
Quantitative Electives (Students choose 2 courses, 4 credits)
- BU.520.710 Big Data Machine Learning
- BU.232.650 Continuous Time Finance
- BU.450.760 Customer Analytics
- BU.330.780 Data Science and Business Intelligence
- BU.520.650 Data Visualization
- BU.610.630 Pricing and Insuring Risk
- BU.450.740 Retail Analytics
General Electives (Students choose 4 courses, 8 credits)
- BU.132.601 Business Law
- BU.610.730 Contracting: Incentive, Design, and Analytics
- BU.231.720 Corporate Governance
- BU.610.705 Crisis Management
- BU.330.730 Cybersecurity
- BU.520.701 Enterprise Risk Management Frameworks
- BU.230.750 Financial Crises and Contagion
- BU.610.750 Global Supply Chain Management
- BU.300.620 Managing Complex Projects
- BU.230.730 Managing Financial Risk
download career data
The career development team facilitates opportunities for you to build professional skills and competencies essential for a successful career search.
Students in this program have gone on to start or advance their careers across numerous industry sectors, including operations and logistics.
- Berkeley Research Group
- Ernst & Young LLP
- JP Morgan Chase & Company
- PriceWaterhouse Coopers (PwC)
- The World Bank Group
- UBS AG
Credit Risk Analyst
Risk Management Coordinator
Student and Faculty Spotlight
At A Glance
Tuition & Fees
There are numerous options for financing your education including scholarships, loans, and payment plans available to those who qualify. Learn more.