Build quantitative and leadership skills
Gain the tools and knowledge to analyze information and improve decision making in business settings
Solve business challenges
Use multiple methods of data analysis to solve complex business challenges and lead in volatile environments
Harness business analytics
Master data analysis and delivery from all angles — retail, operations, social media, and more. Quantify multiple dimensions of business problems, uncover potential approaches, and create and implement business solutions
Includes a STEM-designation, offering an Optional Practical Training STEM Extension benefit
Learn about your class profile*
- 61 percent female / 39 percent male
- 7 percent of students from the U.S.
- 7 countries represented
- 674 average GMAT score
- 3.53 average undergraduate GPA
- < 1 average years of full-time work experience
*Fall 2020 incoming class
Interested in a part-time option?
Build the skills to identify and quantify business problems, uncover potential approaches, and create and implement business solutions.
For more than 140 years, Johns Hopkins University research and initiatives have helped society navigate uncertain times. This legacy underpins the full-time Master of Business Analytics and Risk Management. Use cutting-edge analytics tools to study risk from multiple perspectives and lead through change.
The student handbook provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures.
The 2021 edition of the Carey Business School University Catalog is available.
Download fact sheet
All business opportunities face risk and businesses don't always understand the full implications of the risks they've incurred. That's why modern, interconnected global businesses needs leaders like you – leaders who ask the right questions, have the courage to make difficult decisions, and demonstrate the ability to protect more than the bottom line.
Business decision makers compete in an increasingly complex world, in which every advantage must be leveraged to create new opportunities and to take advantage of existing ones. As a result, a plethora of decisions must be made rapidly —weighing complex options and consequences. Business analytics empowers you to make these decisions with confidence. You will learn to use a scientific method based on data and insights about the structure of business problems, and to anticipate and manage the consequences of those decisions.
Built upon rigorous analysis of economic systems, creative use of all sources of information, and the latest analytical methods, the program provides you with a fresh approach to decision making through uncertainty. Our curriculum empowers you to navigate emerging opportunities through the mastery of new data-driven tools, organized with an eye toward making better decisions for managing the risks presented by a rapidly changing world.
The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School designed the STEM-designated full-time Master of Science in Business Analytics and Risk Management program to train business leaders to navigate risk and uncertainty. Our curriculum empowers you to respond and prepare for risk-related threats and uncertainties through data analytics and scenario planning.
Required courses (24 credits):
Business Foundations (18 credits)
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.520.601 Business Analytics
- BU.120.601 Business Communication
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.231.620 Corporate Finance
- BU.350.620 Information Systems
- BU.410.620 Marketing Management
- BU.680.620 Operations Management
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
Functional Core (6 credits)
- BU.520.620 Advanced Business Analytics
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.610.615 Simulation for Business Applications
Electives (12 credits):
Quantitative Electives (Students choose a minimum of 2 courses, 4 credits)
- BU.520.710 Big Data Machine Learning
- BU.232.650 Continuous Time Finance
- BU.450.760 Customer Analytics
- BU.330.780 Data Science and Business Intelligence
- BU.520.650 Data Visualization
- BU.610.630 Pricing and Insuring Risk
- BU.450.740 Retail Analytics
- BU.610.750 Supply Chain Analytics
- BU.132.601 Business Law
- BU.610.730 Contracting: Incentive, Design, and Analytics
- BU.231.720 Corporate Governance
- BU.610.705 Crisis Management
- BU.330.730 Cybersecurity
- BU.520.701 Enterprise Risk Management Frameworks
- BU.230.750 Financial Crises and Contagion
- BU.300.620 Managing Complex Projects
- BU.230.730 Managing Financial Risk
Lawrence Hsu (MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management ‘17) saw firsthand the challenges...
download career data
The career development team facilitates opportunities for you to build professional skills and competencies essential for a successful career search.
Students in this program have gone on to start or advance their careers across numerous industry sectors, including operations and logistics.
- Berkeley Research Group
- Capital One
- China Industrial Bank
- EcoLife Technologies
- Ernst & Young LLP
- Johns Hopkins University
- JP Morgan Chase & Company
- PriceWaterhouse Coopers (PwC)
- TD Bank
- The World Bank Group
- UBS AG
- World Bank Group
- World Blockchain Forum
- Assistant to CFO
- Business Operations Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Credit Risk Analyst
- Full-Stack Developer
- Retail Supply Production Leader
- Risk Management Coordinator
- Risk Manager
- Sr. Data Scientist
- MarCom Specialist
- Market Analyst
- Statistical Analyst
- Valuation Associate