Online, onsite, or both
This dual degree offers students flexibility, allowing them to take courses online, on-site in Baltimore or Washington D.C., or a combination of both.
Multidisciplinary and efficient
This dual degree harnesses the complementary nature of business and economics and eliminates the overlap between the MS in Applied Economics and the MBA, enabling students to earn both degrees in fewer courses.
Earn two degrees from two Johns Hopkins schools: an MBA from Carey Business School and an MS in Applied Economics from the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences.
Eight in-demand specializations
Although not required, you can choose from eight in-demand specializations from a diverse group of focus areas.
The Johns Hopkins Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Applied Economics equips students to excel in careers blending business and economics.
The 2021 edition of the Carey Business School University Catalog is available.
The program is specially designed to fit the schedules of working adults, following a curriculum sequence that allows you to complete both degrees in three years.
Dual degree requirements
Offered through the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and the Carey Business School, the program allows you to earn two advanced degrees in less time than it takes to earn them separately. For the MBA, students can choose from up to six concentrations, but are not required to choose one.
MS in Applied Economics
- AS.440.601 Microeconomic Theory and Policy
- AS.440.602 Macroeconomic Theory and Policy
- AS.440.606 Statistics
- AS.440.606 Econometrics
- AS.440.618 Microeconometrics or AS.440.614 Microeconometrics
- Applied Economics elective 1
- Applied Economics elective 2
- Applied Economics elective 3
MBA Business Foundations (16 credits)
- Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Business Analytics
- Business Communication*
- Corporate Finance
- Marketing Management
- Operations Management
- Strategic Management
- Leadership and Organizational Behavior
MBA Electives** (26 credits)
- City Lab
- Corporate Governance
- Data Analytics
- Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Fixed Income
- Managing in a Diverse & Global World
- Marketing Strategy
- Power and Politics
- Social Media Analytics
- Wealth Management
MBA Specializations Offered
- Business analytics and risk management
- Digital marketing
- Entrepreneurial marketing
- Entrepreneurship, innovation and technology
- Financial management
- Health care management, innovation and technology
- Public and private sector leadership
*Online sections of Business Communication also require students to attend an in-person residency at the Baltimore campus. The residency for Business Communication is two days.
**Not a comprehensive list