Dr. David Harper joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 1994 as a Faculty Associate. In this role, he continued to distinguish himself by demonstrating his ability to facilitate the learning process at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. In 1998, he was selected as Teacher of the Year in the JHU Information Technology Division. In April 2011, he was appointed to Senior Professional Instructor.
Dr. Harper has an extensive background in business and information systems management. His tenure as a managing consultant at Price Waterhouse exposed him to both the public and private sectors. He joined the Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) as a member of the Senior Professional Staff in April 1993. In April 2006, he was appointed to the Principal Professional staff at APL. In July 2008, he was promoted to serve as the Deputy Program Manager and in March 2012, he was appointed as the Program Manager for his department’s Program Management Office. Dr. Harper also serves on the Editorial Board of APL’s Technical Digest.
- EDD, Education, George Washington University
- MS, Information Technology, Johns Hopkins University
- BS, Business Administration, Columbia Union College
- Harper, D. O., & Porter, Y. (October, 2003). Deciphering cultures in distance learning communities: A systems theory approach. Proceedings from the American Association for Collegiate Independent Study (AACIS) Conference, South Dakota.
- Harper, D. O., & Porter, Y. (October, 2003). Building Effective Learning Teams in a Distance Learning Environment: Lessons Learned. Proceedings from the American Association for Collegiate Independent Study (AACIS) Conference, South Dakota.
- Information Systems
- Managing Complex Projects
Honors and distinctions
- Johns Hopkins University-Alumni Association - Excellence in Teaching Award 1998
- JHU-SPSBE Information Technology Division - Teacher of the Year 1998