i-9 Information

The U.S. government requires all employers to verify eligibility to work for each person they hire.

As part of that verification process, a Form I-9 must be completed by all employees, including student employees. This refers to students who are new to the University payroll system (SAP) or students who have had a break in service.

Please note, you must complete Section 1 of Form I-9 on or before the first day of work. This can be done by visiting www.newi9.com to complete Section One of the I-9. Johns Hopkins University is the employer.

Students must make an appointment with the HR Office to complete Section 2 of the I-9 Form within three (3) business days from their first day of work for pay. To make sure you are able to meet for your I-9, please make an appointment as soon as you can by emailing Human Resources at Carey.HR@JHU.edu. In order to complete Section 2 of the I-9, you will be asked to show originals of certain documents to establish your eligibility to work. Xeroxed & Faxed copies cannot be accepted. For a list of acceptable documents click here.

Please be sure to bring the proper documentation required for your appointment. The U.S. government has strict requirements about the acceptability of documents for establishing work eligibility that varies with each person's circumstance. For U.S. citizens, the most common documentation provided is either a U.S. passport or the combination of your license and a social security card.

For international students

Body Text

You must bring your passport, visa, I-94 card, I-20 and FNIF form.

International Students & Permanent Residents

For students who have a social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration, you can complete Section 1 by taking the following steps:

  1. Sign on to www.newI9.com
  2. Insert employer code 11472 and “continue”
  3. Enter the text indicated in the box and “continue”
  4. Complete Section 1 of the Form I-9
  5. Select “Non-U.S. citizen faculty, staff, and student” as location
  6. Review the information for accuracy
  7. Complete the agreement section
  8. Click “continue”
  9. Make an appointment with HR office to complete section 2 of I-9 form.
  10. Please bring school ID number with you.

For students who DO NOT have a social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration, please fill out section 1 of the I-9 form and bring it with you to complete both Section 1 and Section 2 of Form I-9.

Please note: Failure to complete your I-9 will result in work suspension and/or termination.