Advance quantitative and leadership skills
Enhance yours tools and knowledge to analyze information and improve decision making in complex business settings.
Lead through uncertainty
Gain an understanding of the science and art of risk management and combine these tools with powerful analytics to manage risks and find new opportunities.
Harness business analytics
Uses risk management as an underlying framework to guide the use of business analytics. Quantify multiple dimensions of business problems, uncover potential approaches, and create and implement business solutions.
Learn from industry-leading faculty
Draw insights from a blend of professors that combines scholarly leadership in research with thought leaders in business.
For more than 140 years, the Johns Hopkins University's research and work has helped society navigate uncertain times. This legacy underpins the Master of Science in Business Analytics and Risk Management as students use cutting-edge analytic tools to study risk from multiple perspectives.
The student handbook provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures.
The 2021 edition of the Carey Business School University Catalog is available.
Business decision makers compete in an increasingly complex world in which every advantage must be leveraged to create new opportunities and to take advantage of existing ones. As a result, a plethora of decisions must be made rapidly—weighing complex options and consequences. Business analytics empowers you to make better decisions with confidence. You will learn to use a scientific method based on data and insights about the structure of business problems and anticipate and manage the consequences of those decisions.
Built upon rigorous analysis of economic systems, creative use of all sources of information, and the latest analytical methods, graduate ready to use a fresh approach to decision making through uncertainty. Our curriculum empowers you to navigate emerging opportunities through the mastery of new data-driven tools, organized with an eye on making better decisions to manage the risks presented by a rapidly changing world.
Required courses (24 credits):
Business Foundations (18 credits)
- BU.210.620 Accounting and Financial Reporting
- BU.520.601 Business Analytics
- BU.120.601 Business Communication
- BU.131.601 Business Leadership and Human Values
- BU.231.620 Corporate Finance
- BU.350.620 Information Systems
- BU.410.620 Marketing Management
- BU.680.620 Operations Management
- BU.510.601 Statistical Analysis
Functional Core (6 credits)
- BU.520.620 Advanced Business Analytics
- BU.510.650 Data Analytics
- BU.610.615 Simulation for Business Applications
Electives (12 credits):
Quantitative Electives (Students choose a minimum of 2 courses, 4 credits)
- BU.520.710 Big Data Machine Learning
- BU.232.650 Continuous Time Finance
- BU.450.760 Customer Analytics
- BU.330.780 Data Science and Business Intelligence
- BU.520.650 Data Visualization
- BU.610.630 Pricing and Insuring Risk
- BU.450.740 Retail Analytics
- BU.610.750 Supply Chain Analytics
- BU.132.601 Business Law
- BU.610.730 Contracting: Incentive, Design, and Analytics
- BU.231.720 Corporate Governance
- BU.610.705 Crisis Management
- BU.330.730 Cybersecurity
- BU.520.701 Enterprise Risk Management Frameworks
- BU.230.750 Financial Crises and Contagion
- BU.300.620 Managing Complex Projects
- BU.230.730 Managing Financial Risk
A Q&A with Bill Enright, CEO of Vaccitech
The career development team facilitates opportunities for you to build professional skills and competencies essential for a successful career search.
Students in this program have gone on to start or advance their careers across numerous industry sectors, including operations and logistics.
- Kaon Interactive
- Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia
- Nanomechanics, Inc.
- T2S Solutions
- Terbium Labs
- Compensation Claims Specialist/Assistant Privacy Officer
- Digital Risk Analyst
- Director of Government Affairs
- Global Insights Manager
- Information System Security Officer
- President of Technology
- Vice President of Global Sales and Marketing Department