Jian Ni is an Associate Professor at Carey Business School with joint appointment in the Department of Economics, Johns Hopkins University. He is an application-driven data scientist, and specializes in empirical and theoretical analysis of healthcare/pharmaceutical, financial service, environmental and energy, technology and emerging markets. His recent research interests include pricing, (non-)monetary incentive design, data analytics, people analytics, social media, mobile platforms and empirical industrial organization. His work is supported by National Science Foundation, National Institute of Health, Center for Global Health, Environment, Energy, Sustainability and Health Institute, China Medical Board, among others. He has published in top business and healthcare journals. He was named a 2017 MSI Young Scholar.
- Ph.D. in Indus. Admin. (Minor: Statistics), Tepper Business School, Carnegie Mellon University, 2010
- M.A. in Economics, Vanderbilt University
- M.S. in Polymer Science and Engineering, Nanjing University, China
- B.S. in Science (Special Intensive Class), Lanzhou University, China
- "Smart Healthcare: Solution to the Iron-Triangle Dilemmas in Healthcare," with B. Sun, F. Zeng, Harvard Business Review (哈佛商业评论), February, 2019.
- "Informal Lending in Emerging Markets," with W. Bao, S. Singh, Marketing Science, 37(1), 2018.
- "A Dynamic Model of Health Insurance Choices and Health Care Consumption Decisions," with N. Mehta, B. Sun, K. Srinivasan, Marketing Science, 36(3), 2017.
- "Could Good Intentions backfire? An Empirical Analysis of Bank Deposit Insurance," with W. Bao, Marketing Science, 36(2), 2017.
- "Matching in the Sourcing Market: A Structural Analysis of the Upstream Channel," with K. Srinivasan, Marketing Science, 34(5), 2015.
- "Hydrocarbon Release during Fuel Storage and Transfer at Gas Stations: Environmental and Health Effects," with M. Hilpert, B. Mora, A. Rule, K. Nachman, Current Environmental Health, 2(4), 2015.
- "Signaling through pricing by service providers with social preferences," with B. Jiang, K. Srinivasan, Marketing Science, 33(5), 2014.
- "Effects of Changes in Health Insurance Reimbursement Level on Outpatient service Utilization of Rural Diabetics: Evidence from Jiangsu Province, China," with L. Zhang, Z. Wang, D. Qian, BMC Health Services Research, 14(185), 2014.
- "Asymmetric Information and Entrepreneurial Disincentives in Crowdfunding Markets," with Y. Xu, 2019.
- "Better School versus Right School? Heterogeneous Preferences in School Matching with Price Information," with N. Aramayo, M. Goic, 2019.
- "Time Inconsistency in Medication Non-adherence: A Dynamic Model,” with Y. An, Y. Hu
- Pricing Analysis
- Healthcare Marketing and Access
- Marketing Management
- Topics on Healthcare
- Current Topics in Quantitative Marketing
Honors and distinctions
- MSI Biennial Young Scholar
- Best Paper Award in CMIC
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence
- Co-editor, JACR, special issue on healthcare and medical decision-making
- Plenary Speaker, International Forum of Marketing Science & Applications
- Co-chair on “Personalized Medicine and Decision Making”, Triennial Invitational Choice Symposium
- Klatsky Lecture on Business of Healthcare, Baltimore, MD
- Plenary Speaker, PACE China Environment Economics and Policy International Symposium, Nanjing, China
- Invited Consortium Faculty, “Healthcare and Marketing Science,” ISMS Doctoral Consortium
- Conference Co-Chair, Thirty-seventh ISMS Marketing Science Conference
- Invited panelist, "Healthcare Reform in the US and China: Similarities, Differences and Challenges," Atlanta, GA