Jian Ni is an Associate Professor at Carey Business School with a joint appointment in the Department of Economics, Johns Hopkins University. He specializes in empirical and theoretical analysis of healthcare and pharmaceutical, financial service, environmental and energy, technology, and emerging markets. His recent research interests include pricing, (non-)monetary incentive design, data analytics, people analytics, social media, mobile platforms, and empirical industrial organization. He was named a 2017 MSI Young Scholar and 2021 MSI Scholar, and was a recipient of the 2020 Johns Hopkins Catalyst Award.
- Ph.D. in Indus. Admin. (Minor: Statistics), Tepper Business School, Carnegie Mellon University, 2010
- M.A. in Economics, Vanderbilt University
- M.S. in Polymer Science and Engineering, Nanjing University, China
- B.S. in Science (Special Intensive Class), Lanzhou University, China
- "What Feedback Matters? The Role of Experience in Motivating Crowdsourcing Innovation," with K. Chan, S. Li, J. Zhu, Production and Operations Management, 2020.
- "Smart Healthcare: Solution to the Iron-Triangle Dilemmas in Healthcare," with B. Sun, F. Zeng, Harvard Business Review, February 2019.
- "Informal Lending in Emerging Market,” with W. Bao, S. Singh, Marketing Science, 37(1), 2018.
- "A Dynamic Model of Health Insurance Choices and Health Care Consumption Decisions," with N. Mehta, B. Sun, K. Srinivasan, Marketing Science, 36(3), 2017.
- "Could Good Intentions backfire? An Empirical Analysis of Bank Deposit Insurance," with W. Bao, Marketing Science, 36(2), 2017.
- "Matching in the Sourcing Market: A Structural Analysis of the Upstream Channel," with K. Srinivasan, Marketing Science, 34(5), 2015.
- "Signaling through pricing by service providers with social preferences," with B. Jiang, K. Srinivasan, Marketing Science, 33(5), 2014.
- "Effects of Changes in Health Insurance Reimbursement Level on Outpatient service Utilization of Rural Diabetics: Evidence from Jiangsu Province, China," with L. Zhang, Z. Wang, D. Qian, BMC Health Services Research, 14(185), 2014.
- "Asymmetric Information and Entrepreneurial Disincentives in Crowdfunding Market," with Y. Xu.
- "Financing Micro-entrepreneurship in Online Crowdfunding Markets: Local Preference versus Information Frictions" with Y. Xin.
- "Healthcare Crowd-out and Resource Allocation: Evidence from COVID-19 Pandemic," with M. Hermosilla, H. Wang, J. Zhang.
- Pricing Analysis
- Healthcare Marketing and Access
- Pricing Analysis
- Pricing (with Applications in Healthcare and Financial Service Industries)
- Marketing Management
- Topics on Healthcare
- Current Topics in Quantitative Marketing
Honors and distinctions
- Marketing Science Institute Scholar
- Johns Hopkins Early-career Catalyst Award
- Marketing Science Institute Young Scholar
- Dean’s Award for Faculty Excellence
- Co-editor, JACR, special issue on healthcare and medical decision-making
- Best Paper Award in CMIC
- Plenary Speaker, International Forum of Marketing Science & Applications
- Co-chair on “Personalized Medicine and Decision Making”, Triennial Invitational Choice Symposium
- Klatsky Lecture on Business of Healthcare, Baltimore, MD
- Plenary Speaker, PACE Environment Economics and Policy International Symposium, Nanjing, China
- Conference Co-Chair, Thirty-seventh ISMS Marketing Science Conference
- Invited panelist, "Healthcare Reform in the US and China: Similarities, Differences and Challenges," Atlanta, GA