Steven D. Cohen, PhD (Communication, University of Maryland) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2016. He is an Assistant Professor and the Academic Program Director for Executive Education.
Dr. Cohen is a leading expert on persuasive communication and effective presentation skills. He has been quoted in publications such as the Financial Times, Slate, Huffington Post, Inc., and New York Magazine and was featured in the BBC Radio documentary, "Churchill's Secret Cabinet."
Prior to his academic career, Dr. Cohen spent several years working in the private sector. He was an assistant vice president and team leader at Bank of America and later became a senior strategy consultant at IBM Global Business Services.
- The National Society of Leadership and Success Excellence in Teaching Award, 2016
- First Place, Redwood Toastmasters Speech Evaluation Contest, 2015
- Dean’s Commendation for Distinguished Teaching, Harvard Extension School, 2014
- International Listening Association Top Research Paper, 2013
- Teaching with New(er) Technologies Fellow, University of Maryland Center for Teaching Excellence, 2013
- Opening Plenary Session Speaker, Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching, 2012
- Department of Communication Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Maryland, 2011
- First Place, New Scholars Category, University of Maryland Graduate Research Interaction Day, 2011
- Cohen, S. D. (Ed.). (2018). Speaking for success: Readings and resources. (2nd ed.). San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Fontana, P. C., Cohen, S. D., & Wolvin, A. D. (2015). Understanding listening competency: A systematic review of research scales. International Journal of Listening, 29, 148–176.
- Cohen, S. D. (Ed.). (2014). On the path to success: Readings and resources. San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Cohen, S. D. (2014). The digital communication journal: Building an online COMMunity for student dialogue. In J. E. Aitken (Ed.), Cases on communication technology for second language acquisition and cultural learning (pp. 1–4). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Cohen, S. D. (2014, November). It’s all about the audience: Earn your listeners’ appreciation by making your speech about them. Toastmaster, 80(11), 20–21.
- Cohen, S. D. (2013, Fall). Eliminating the dreaded um. Harvard Extension School Alumni Bulletin, 14–15.
- Wolvin, A. D., & Cohen, S. D. (2012). An inventory of listening competency dimensions. International Journal of Listening, 26, 64–66.
- Cohen, S. D. (2011). The art of public narrative: Teaching students how to construct memorable anecdotes. Communication Teacher, 25, 197–204.
- Cohen, S. D., & Wolvin, A. D. (2011). Listening to stories: An initial assessment of student listening characteristics. Listening Education, 2, 16–25.
- Cohen, S. D. (2011). Lessons from the podium: Public speaking as a leadership art. San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.