Shabnam Mousavi, PhD (Virginia Polytechnic Institute) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in April 2013. She is a fellow of the Max Planck Institute for Human Development in Berlin (Center for Adaptive Behavior and Cognition), as well as a Network member of the University of Chicago Wisdom Project (Grant recipient, 2008). She has served on the faculty of statistics at Penn State University and finance at Georgia State and Santa Clara University. Her research is focused on actual decision processes used in daily and professional choice situations, simple and successful heuristic strategies used in complex situations, axiomatic frameworks for rationality and wisdom, Markov chain processes, characterizations of uncertainty, and communication of risk.
- Advisory Board Member, Experimental Ethics Lab, Technische Universität München (TUM), 2014
- Secretary, Board of the Society for the Advancement of Behavioral Economics (SABE), 2011 – present
- Editorial Board, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (JoBEE), 2009 – present
- Recipient, Research Award, University of Chicago Defining Wisdom Project, 2008 – 11
- Recipient, Research Award, American Institute for Economic Research, 2000 – 01
- “Risk, Uncertainty, and Heuristics” (with Gerd Gigerenzer) Journal of Business Research Volume 67, Issue 8, August 2014. 1671-1678.
- “Behind and Beyond a Shared Definition of Ecological Rationality: A Functional View of Heuristics” (with Reza Kheirandish) Journal of Business Research Volume 67, Issue 8, August 2014. 1780-1785.
- “Revisiting the ‘Error’ in Studies of Cognitive Error” (with Gerd Gigerenzer) in Hofmann & Frese (Eds.), Errors in Organizations. Psychology Press (2011) 97-112.
- “Prediction Tools: Financial Market Regulation, Politics, and Psychology” (with Hersh Shefrin) Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions 3 (4, 2010), 318-333.
- “A Statistical Taxonomy and another ‘Chance’ for Natural Frequencies” (with Adrien Barton and Jeff R. Stevens) Behavioral and Brain Sciences 30 (2007) 255-6.
- “Uncertainty Improves the Second Best,” (with Hans H. Haller) in Abdellaoui, Luce, Machina & Munier (Eds.), Uncertainty and Risk: Mental, Formal, Experimental Representations (2007) 85-100.
- “Toward a Transactional Theory of Decision Making: Creative Rationality as Functional Coordination in Context” (with Jim Garrison) Journal of Economic Methodology 10 (2, 2003) 131-156.
With Gerd Gigerenzer, From Ecological Rationality to Behavioral Economics
With Hansjörg Neth, Björn Meder, & Reza Kheirandish, Heuristics: Fast, Frugal, and Smart
With Lindsay Thompson, & Kathleen Day, Psychologically Savvy Organizations Are Morally Healthy
With Reza Kheirandish, How Do Managers Perceive and React to Investors’ Perception of Risk in the Market?