The Value of Giving Back and Engaging as Alumni

Krasi Shapkarova

Krasi is Carey the Torch's Editor-in-Chief and also represents the Career Development Office in Washington, D.C., working with students on career exploration and development. Krasi holds a Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology from the University of Houston-Clear Lake and a Master of Arts in International Human Rights from the University of Denver.

Last month, I had the great opportunity to join a group of Carey Business School colleagues on a trip to China. Educational and fun, my first visit to the country was full of new experiences, engaging meetings with employers, and exciting connections with admitted students. What truly made the experience unforgettable, however, were the touch points with alumni. I met quite a few alumni in both Beijing and Shanghai and felt truly inspired by their dedication to their alma mater, valuable support, and continued engagement. Three of those alumni graciously shared their reflections on the value of giving back and staying engaged, and I’ve included their thoughts below.

Hao Yu, GMBA 2012

I give back to Carey because I’m part of the Carey community, and I believe in what Carey stands for. I think getting a degree is not a one-time transaction but rather a long-term relationship, because once I graduated from Carey, I became a Carey alumnus for life. Alumni like myself will always be associated with their alma mater. So I think it’s natural for me to give back and enhance the Carey community. Moreover, I learned and grew so much while at Carey, both professionally and personally. The mission, culture and people at Carey all helped me to get to where I am today. I really want to give back to Carey to allow the school to provide the same or better transformational experiences to all future students and alumni.

Hao Yu is a graduate of the Global MBA program charter class of 2012 at Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. He currently has a seat on the Dean’s Advisory Council of the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School and is also President of the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Beijing Alumni club and has played an integral role in enhancing Carey’s alumni network in China.

Hao currently serves as the CEO of QuanDx, a personalized and precision diagnostic company based in San Jose, California. Prior to QuanDx, Hao took the position of executive director at CITIC Guo’an Capital, where he established the firm’s first two health care-focused private equity funds focusing on early stage and growth capital investments, respectively. Previously, Hao worked at IFC where he worked on the strategy development and implementation projects in agribusiness and trade logistics. Prior to his study at Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, he worked as a senior analyst at DAC Management, a private firm focusing on distressed assets investment in China. Prior to DAC Management, Hao conducted both transaction advisory and auditing engagements at Ernst & Young China for clients in pharmaceutical and financial services industries. In addition to his Global MBA degree from Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, Hao also obtained the Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry from the University of Ottawa.

Hao served on the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Dean’s Alumni Advisory Board from 2012 to 2018 and in 2017 was awarded the Johns Hopkins University Outstanding Graduate Award.

Szu Chi (Jasmine) Wang, GMBA 2014

I believe in giving back and supporting your alma mater for three reasons. First, since Carey is a relatively young b-school, I feel that as an alumna I have the responsibility to build up the school’s reputation. This is also the privilege of being part of the first graduating classes, because my action has more impact. Second, I personally like to meet new people and the alumni network is always a great place to do that. Talking to other Carey alumni keeps me connected to different industries from my field of finance. Third, I believe education is a long-term investment. A bigger, stronger alumni network will increase the value of the Carey brand. This will bring a higher return on my investment!

Jasmine graduated from the Carey Business School with an MBA in 2014. She has been actively participating in alumni events in Shanghai and has served as a committee member for the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Alumni Club in Shanghai since its launch in 2015.

Jasmine is currently the vice president of finance for a Chinese logistics company where she oversees the finance department, coordinates relationships with shareholders and outside financial institutions. Before that, she worked as a project manager in GE China for two years, where she migrated financial processes from different sites to the Shanghai Center and worked with internal clients around the globe. She was also a senior auditor for KPMG Taipei before attending Carey.

During her free time, Jasmine enjoys reading, traveling and listening to podcasts.

Sonia Sun, ERM 2015

I secured my first internship, first full-time job offer in the US and first offer after returning to China all through the Carey network. I feel I’ve gained so much support from Carey, so I have always wanted to contribute and give back. When I got back to Beijing, I was so pleased to find an amazing Carey community here, including dedicated staff, visiting scholars and talented alumni. I love being involved in the big Carey family and supporting in a variety of ways, just like I was being supported back then. In the meantime, I’ve gained more connections in different industries. It’s a win-win and I suggest that all future alumni join us!

Sonia Sun is a senior associate and office lead of YCP Solidiance in Beijing, China. In her role, Sonia oversees all project operations in the Beijing office and supports the consulting firm’s vision of growth in the Asia Pacific. Prior to joining Solidiance, Sonia spent a year as an analyst in the Morgan Stanley Baltimore office.

Editor’s Note: Interested in hearing from more alumni and learning about the different ways in which you can engage as alumni? Check out the many events happening next week in both D.C. and Harbor East as part of Beet Week. Beet Week is a signature event for Development and Alumni Relations at Carey and we are thrilled to have a greater presence in D.C. this year. Our goal is to help students connect and deepen ties within our community, celebrate their upcoming transition to alumni status, and enhance their philanthropic mindsets with meaningful programming throughout the week. We hope everyone will take advantage of this opportunity to hear from alumni leaders and take part in the fun. For additional information on the Carey alumni network, check out this page.