Alumni Spotlight: Evan J. Hamberger, MBA 2014

Caitlin Magidson

Caitlin works with students and alumni in Washington DC as a transformational Career Coach. She provides guidance around self-exploration, job search strategy, and networking through individualized coaching and professional development courses.

Evan Hamberger is a Pricing & Estimating Manager at Northrop Grumman Mission Systems, where he is responsible for developing and managing proposal pricing strategies. In the 9 years that Evan has worked at Northrop Grumman, he has held positions in Finance, Export/Import, and Government Accounting. Evan is a 2014 graduate of the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

What is the best part about your job, and what is most challenging?

My favorite thing about my job is the “group project” style work environment that I get to work with on some of the proposals I support. For a few months at a time, I’ll work with a multi-disciplinary team to develop the solution for a unique business problem. I love working in groups and the sense of accomplishment that I can share with my teammates when we submit our proposal after months of hard work.

As far as challenges go, some proposals have fast turnaround times, so learning from your mistakes and incorporating best practices into your processes is crucial in order to be successful in this position. I do like the challenge of always having to improve!

What outlets/resources do you turn to, to stay up-to-date in your field?

Keeping up to date on current events is important in my field. I pay attention to all of the major national news publications, and for more specific information, I go to defensenews.com.

What do you wish you knew when you started B-school?

Some of my favorite classes at Carey were ones that were a bit more outside the box, like the CityLab seminar, where my classmates pitched community improvement ideas to improve the quality of life in the Sandtown neighborhood. In retrospect, I wish I would have sought out even more classes like this one earlier in my time at Carey.

What class was most impactful at Carey and how has that helped you in your career today?

My Capstone class was most impactful.  I was aware that it was the culmination of my Carey experience and I treated it accordingly, making a conscious effort to implement particular leadership strategies that I’d learned throughout my time in business school. Working closely with people with different professional backgrounds and schools of thought than I had was an experience that served as an excellent segue into the career that I have now.

What three words would you use to define your time at Carey?

Reflective, Receptive, Rewarding