Heart of Hopkins: Kevin Frick

Priya Prakash
Priya Prakash

Priya is a current MS Health Care Management candidate at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, with knowledge of biotechnology and engineering, and is interested in working towards process improvement in hospitals. Her past experiences include a bachelor's degree in biotechnology, internships at pharmaceutical and medical diagnostic companies. She has been actively involved with organizations such as TED and IEEE, and causes pertaining to heath and education.

The life of a researcher often involves months, and sometimes – years, of waiting, patience and endurance until results are realized. Having been a part of many research studies myself, I have come to recognize the importance of short term victories in my life, and that is why I bake! Baking gives me a much needed break from my daily work routine – it is a stress-buster and I get to see the results of my work in less than two hours. Baking has been a hobby for many years, and has become a part of my weekly routine now. I thoroughly enjoy cooking a pizza from scratch every week, and I am often accompanied by my sons, in the kitchen. One of my go-to recipes is the signature banana bread. During peak harvest season, I also look forward to stocking up on some home-made cranberry sauce. It is great to have a hobby to get back home to; one that is strikingly opposite to the nature of my work.”

With Humans of New York, Brandon Stanton depicts stories in a manner that strikes a chord with many. Adopting a global phenomenon such as that, with a belief that each person brings a unique story, we present to you Heart of Hopkins to help you know better the person you see across the hallway each day, your favorite professor and the staff who helps you when you are lost.

The idea for Heart of Hopkins came to Carey the Torch from Priya Prakash, a student in the healthcare management program at Carey. Interacting with people from all walks of life while working on the Six Degrees Project at her undergraduate alma mater, Vellore Institute of Technology, based on the ‘six degrees of separation’ theory, she collected stories of people who left her inspired. Such tales of courage, determination, resilience, or even pure happiness deserve to be heard; and most definitely – shared.

Here’s to these people, who are undeniably more than just faces and through their dynamic personalities impact others more than they know.