Learning Beyond the Classroom

John Lim

John Lim is a partner at Ba-Li Solutions (www.bemovingforward.com) and specializes in digital media, podcasting, and public speaking. He received his MBA from The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, his JD from Georgetown Law, and his BA from The University of Pennsylvania. John is the Executive Producer and Host of Moving Forward, a weekly podcast featuring today’s most inspiring entrepreneurs, leaders, and artists. John has been featured in articles for Cracked.com, Inc. and Carey the Torch, and has been a guest on Ryan Foland’s 'Get Notified' radio show, Podcasting Mastery, and the PersoNatalie Podcast. John is the co-author of "Corporate Cliches," an adult coloring book, available for sale on Amazon and Barnes & Noble online.

One of the great things about being a podcaster is that I’m constantly learning. Since finishing my MBA at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School nearly three years ago and becoming an entrepreneur shortly after, one of my top priorities has been to continue learning beyond the classroom. To further this goal, I added the #knowledgeburst session, which occurs around midway in each interview on the MovingForward podcast. It’s intended to break up the pacing and provide listeners with great tools, tips, and practices from the guests. Below are the three knowledge burst questions that I ask and my own answers to them that can help you move forward in your goals.

1. Pick a media resource (movie, song, play) or cultural experience that inspired you to move forward:
    1. I love the movie Step Bros. (Blu Ray | Instant), a very crude and silly comedy starring Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. I first saw this movie during a very difficult time in my life and since then it has become my go-to whenever I’m feeling sad or need a little pick-me-up. While easy to overlook, there are undertones of entrepreneurship and pursuing your passion in the film’s story. At one point in the film, the step brother characters try to grow up by getting ordinary jobs and becoming ordinary adults. They’re miserable. After an absurd yet inspiring talk from their dad, they realize that you only live once and that your passion is what should drive your life and career. If you can get over the juvenile humor, then you’ll see a rather inspiring message there.
  2. Favorite app, website, resource or productive practice that’s been a game changer:
    1. I’ll share two. The first is Ripl (IOS | Google Play): these days, video is extremely important for making your brand pop. Ripl allows me to quickly create short, catchy videos using still images, text, and even music. To promote the podcast, I use Ripl to create videos posts on Facebook, Twitter and IG.
    2. The second is Slack (IOS | Google Play). Slack is an incredible communication tool that several Moving Forward guests, including Cotidea founder, Kristin Wald, and Product2Market CEO, Anthony Byrne, use. Slack is very much like text messaging, allowing you to create channels and send documents, links, and more. On top of that, Slack is searchable, which makes it both a communication and knowledge management tool.
  3. How do I recharge or reboot when I face a roadblock or hit a wall:
    1. Recently, I’ve taken up meditation. It’s a practice that many of the Moving Forward guests have shared and it’s one that I have come to embrace as well, though not easily. Since I’m a doer, I tend to resist the idea of taking time to sit still. If you have the same problem, I recommend Headspace (IOS | Google Play) and Calm (IOS | Google Play) which breaks meditation down into 10-minute sessions that ease you into it. Both have free as well as premium plans.

The great thing about knowledge bursts is that they’re all around you. Whether you listen to Moving Forward, other podcasts or to your professors, colleagues and classmates, you will find incredible knowledge bursts that will keep you moving forward.

Note: article contains Amazon affiliate links to books and/or resources for which the author receives a very small commission. Purchasing through this link will not cost anything extra. If you prefer to purchase via a non-affiliate link, you may go to www.amazon.com directly.