Heart of Hopkins: Tomas Solari Yrigoyen

Krasi Shapkarova

Krasi is Carey the Torch's Editor-in-Chief and also represents the Career Development Office in Washington, D.C., working with students on career exploration and development. Krasi holds a Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology from the University of Houston-Clear Lake and a Master of Arts in International Human Rights from the University of Denver.

Intellectual curiosity runs in my blood. When my dad likes something, he buys 10 books on the subject … and reads them all. I remember when he got interested in chess. I was 9, and he took me to watch Gary Kasparov play against 20 people in Singapore. At 52, he became interested in running and trained for races. He truly commits to learning about a subject in depth. Now I can’t listen to someone mention a word or a concept without me going online to check it out and research it. You know how on Amazon, when you view a product, there are recommendations on similar ones to the side and you can check them out? That’s me with any subject. I just keep checking out the next resource, and the next resource. This curiosity helps me talk and connect to other people. When I meet someone from another country, there is a high likelihood I know something about it. For example, I recently met a student from Nigeria and I immediately asked him about Nigeria’s missing president. He was surprised I knew about it.

With Humans of New York, Brandon Stanton depicts stories in a manner that strikes a chord with many. Adopting a global phenomenon such as that, with a belief that each person brings a unique story, we present to you Heart of Hopkins to help you know better the person you see across the hallway each day, your favorite professor, and the staff who helps you when you are lost.

The idea for Heart of Hopkins came to Carey the Torch from Priya Prakash, a student in the healthcare management program at Carey. Interacting with people from all walks of life while working on the Six Degrees Project at her undergraduate alma mater, Vellore Institute of Technology, based on the ‘six degrees of separation’ theory, she collected stories of people who left her inspired. Such tales of courage, determination, resilience, or even pure happiness deserve to be heard; and most definitely – shared.

Here’s to these people, who are undeniably more than just faces and through their dynamic personalities impact others more than they know.